Options

Yet Another Virtual Machine Setup Question

kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
Is there any reason or preference for the OS version that hosts the virtual software? The available options are 2003 Standard or XP Pro. In addition, a 2003 Ent eval version is available. The physical pc is a Dell 270 2.8ghz/2gig ram, 160g hd. The most convenient method would be to use XP, as it is already loaded with all the correct drivers for the pc. The preference is to run everything on the one pc to assist with the 291 exam.
Also, after searching the threads, I have been unable to determine if there is a preferred or most popular -free- virtual machine software. I wasn't trying to determine the pros and cons of each, but one that is easy/quick to implement, free and does it matter if the host is 2003 Server or XP.
On a side note, it would be nice to be able to install a virtual Exchange 2003/2007 server on it.
Thank-you for your time and your help.

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kctxau wrote: »
    Is there any reason or preference for the OS version that hosts the virtual software? The available options are 2003 Standard or XP Pro. In addition, a 2003 Ent eval version is available. The physical pc is a Dell 270 2.8ghz/2gig ram, 160g hd. The most convenient method would be to use XP, as it is already loaded with all the correct drivers for the pc. The preference is to run everything on the one pc to assist with the 291 exam.
    Also, after searching the threads, I have been unable to determine if there is a preferred or most popular -free- virtual machine software. I wasn't trying to determine the pros and cons of each, but one that is easy/quick to implement, free and does it matter if the host is 2003 Server or XP.
    On a side note, it would be nice to be able to install a virtual Exchange 2003/2007 server on it.
    Thank-you for your time and your help.

If you want to use the server solely for study purposes, including Exchange 2003 / 2007 - then you NEED to upgrade your Ram, otherwise you won't have any joy.

As for the virtual software - you can use Windows XP .. I would suggest using the free Virtual PC from Microsoft - this is a small installer, can be installed on XP without any probolems and is not overkill .. The free vmware server from vmware is too big really .. well not too big, but for example it requires IIS as it runs mainly a webinterface and its quite a big install.

So basically

1. Upgrade RAM
    2. Install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en
    3. Study :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p