Advice on setting up Server 03 network

This is my first time trying this in VMWare so I'm just learning as I go. I have my DC set up and I also have that same VM set up as my DHCP server. Should I set up another VM as a DNS server as well? Or can I just have my DC set up as my DNS too?

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Your DC should already be set up as a DNS server during the dcpromo as Active Directory will not work without a functional DNS server.

Here's some additional reading: How DNS Support for Active Directory Works: Active Directory
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    I can't seem to get DNS set up. It asks me to insert my Server 2K3 CD and I'm not sure which directory onn the CD I'm supposed to copy the files from. I'm using the trial version that came with my MS Press books.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Probably i386.
    That's what it defaults to, D:\i386. I press OK but it keeps popping up.
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    djhss68 wrote: »
    That's what it defaults to, D:\i386. I press OK but it keeps popping up.
    Sounds like a VMWare thing. Did you give the VM access to your physical optical drive?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Manually browse for the location and go into the i386 folder. The correct file should be obvious.
    I installed SP2 and now it magically works. icon_redface.gif
    Question....why is it that I can ping my DC from any client machine but I can't ping a client from my DC?
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Check the firewalls on the client machines, they're most likely interfering.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    Ahh, yes. That should have been obvious. icon_lol.gif

Made an exception for echo requests. Now it's working.
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    undomiel wrote: »
    Check the firewalls on the client machines, they're most likely interfering.

What he said ^^^