Password recovery question...

paul325ipaul325i Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I'm new to this forum, very useful guys.

Just took and failed my CCNA with 781 which was annoying!

I had a question on the configuration registry, it asked what the value would be after a standard password recovery and gave me a list of options, i looked it up on the net and come up with 0x2102, which is the default for most Cisco devices apparently. Would this be the correct answer?

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hi and welcome,

Sorry to hear you didn't pass... don't give up though, you probably just need to do a bit more studying.

For the answer to your question (please do not post information about exam question) check out the config register portion in the following TechNotes, including the link to a more complete list:
    www.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/basic_router_management.shtml ;)
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    2102 directs the router to look for a setup file in NVRAM, 2142 tells the router to bypass nvram for a startup config. What I've always done (and had to do with each of the three routers I purchased from ebay thanks to all three vendors being inconsiderate enough to ship them without clearing their configs first) was ctrl-break the router to set 2142 for the config reg, let it boot, erase start, then set the config reg back to 2102 and reload the router again.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • knownasthatguyknownasthatguy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Depending on the IOS version, you also have to consider the actual RMON sub IOS command. I believe for IOSs < 12 is o/r 0x02.
    Is it getting bright in here, or am I just cool like that
  • paul325ipaul325i Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cheers for the help guys, i'm gunna revise a bit harder for it next time, it's not as simple as i thought it might be, they do try hard to catch you out.

I'm an MCSE so cisco was all new to me, but i like it, very interesting, especially the design theory. Ooo that sounds sad don't it icon_confused.gif
  • barryn13087barryn13087 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From my knowledge it is, reboot the router by turning it on then off. Then hold the ctrl and break key at the same time till the ">" appears. After that, type o/r0x42. Then the "I" key to boot up the router. icon_idea.gif
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    It depends on what IOS you're running, and I think it may depend on the router as well. The 2500's I've had to break have all had to use o/r, don't remember if they were running IOS 12+ or not. The 2600's I've had to break I had to use (I believe) confreg to change it.

Know both.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=