Booking my 70-620 exam in a couple of weeks

ibit-mattibit-matt Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
HI there.

I started my first IT job just over a year ago and love my job. I have been using vista now for about a year and prefer it over XP.

I have been revising now for a couple of weeks using the MCTS Microsoft Self Paced Traning Kit and cbt Nuggets Videos

I have found it a bit of a struggle to read the book as i dont read many books but after a while I have really got into it and was suprised how quick I am getting through it.

I am a little nervous about going to the test centre to do my exam as it will be my first Microsoft exam. Also I dont want to fail.

Any Advice guys?

Working On: 70-622 | 70-290 |

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Be sure to register for the second shot. You'll get a free retake if you fail.

http://www.microsoft.com/Learning/Mcp/Offers/Secondshot/Default.Mspx

I just used the MS Press book, Transcender, and some hands-on/daily use.
  • ibit-mattibit-matt Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick reply.

If I register for the second chance offer does it expire after a certain amount of time?

I believe you have until the end of June to take the exam and the retake (if necessary).
    Excellent.

Any other advice.

How early should I get to the test centre?
    What do I need to take to the exam?
    How long do I have to complete the exam?

Also I am struggle with the Tablet PC questions. I have never used a tablet PC so its hard to learn hwo all th eoptions and features work. Any advice on how to get around this?

Thanks

You just need two forms of ID, and you should probably get their 15+ minutes early. You take the exam at one of their computers, so you don't need anything special. I don't remember how long they give you, but it's more than enough time. If you are at all familiar with the material, you won't feel rushed.

Just study it as best you can. I didn't have hands-on with everything either. You'll get some questions about it, but just learn as much as you can from reading, looking at the configuration options, etc.
    Another thing that i have found a little hard is learning windows vista programs like

Windows Mail
    Windows Meeting Space
    Windows Calendar

I use Outlook 2007 for email and calendar functions so have never really used the apps that come with vista.

What I have started to do is to use Windows mail for gmail account so i can get some experience with the app.

I have never used meeting space for work either so getting experience with it is hard.

• TopTechTopTech Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found the MS-Press book was the only book I needed. That, combined with a live Vista PC to play around with the different utilities so you're not lost on the simulation questions (of which there are a lot).
    It's things like Parental Controls and Defender where you're going to get more questions on than things like Mail, but the book will tell you enough about them anyway.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TopTech wrote: »
    I found the MS-Press book was the only book I needed. That, combined with a live Vista PC to play around with the different utilities so you're not lost on the simulation questions (of which there are a lot).
    It's things like Parental Controls and Defender where you're going to get more questions on than things like Mail, but the book will tell you enough about them anyway.

yeah thats true. but one thing tho...that Vista book is BORING as hell. i just booked my 70-621 exam for may 2nd, and i'm tryin to get thru the rest of this book...i got to concentrate now on gettin thru the material, even tho it isnt hard....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
    On the actual exam how many question do I get?

Also how many do I have to get right to pass?

Also the measure up cd that comes with the Microsoft Press book do you have to get 80% to pass?

• TopTechTopTech Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I seem to remember there were 54? 56? questions? Not quite sure now.
    Most MS exams seem to need a 700 / 1000 pass (70%). There are many simulation questions in this exam. I had 14 in mine.
    This is not a difficult exam at all, but you do have to read the book thoroughly.
    The way I do it is to read a book through fast one time, getting a general idea of the concepts, then go through again in more detail, doing all the examples and tests. I make handwritten notes of everything I didn't know before, then create a document from those notes and use that for revision (haven't failed an exam yet with this method).
    Yes, it can be boring and there's always some more interesting distraction to take its place, but persistence and endurance are what seperates the men from the boys in this game !
    Thanks for the advice. I have just split up from my girlfriend which is totally the wrong time as I am finding it hard to revise at the moment icon_sad.gif

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    ibit-matt wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I have just split up from my girlfriend which is totally the wrong time as I am finding it hard to revise at the moment icon_sad.gif

That sucks, I know, I've been there before. Trying to concentrate on studies while going through relationship turbulence is tough. The other way you might be able to look at it though, is now you have more time to devote to studying, once the exam is out of the way, then you have a reason to celebrate.

Good Luck!
    Are there questions on unattended installs and vista image deployment in this exam?

• d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just a question about the second shot, do I have to register for the free second shot before or after the exam. how does it works.
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
    You use the voucher code when you sign up for the first (and hopefully only) exam. If you fail, you contact Prometric and setup your retake.