Help!!!

pad10029pad10029 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm not sure what to do right now... I'm certified MCSA on 2000 and was looking to take the 70-292 exam to upgrade to 2003... but prometric doesn't seem to offer the exam and Microsoft lists the exam as retired... Pearson Vue's web site doesn't even list Microsoft cert exams.

Is there another exam i'm missing to upgrade my MCSA 2000 cert to 2003? What can I do in this situation?

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Unfortunately, it looks like the 292 is the only upgrade path and it's been retired as of March 2008. If I had to guess, I'd say that you'd have to do the other exams core exams in order to get an "upgrade" to MCSA 2003. Contact the MCP help folks - they can confirm if you can use the OS exam & maybe even the elective from your 2000 MCSA for your 2003 MCSA, and then maybe it's just a matter of taking 290/291. (Since you have your A+ & N+ certs, you could also use them in place of the elective for MCSA 2003.)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Sorry but you missed the boat. The 70-292 exam was retired at the end of March 2008. Only option now is to take all the required exams for the MCSA 2003 one at a time.

I'm also a MCSA 2000, didn't make the cutoff on the 292 either. Personally I have decided to skip 03 certification and go straight for 08. MCITP:EA (new version of MCSE)is what I'm shooting for but you could go for MCITP:SA (new version of MCSA).

Good luck which ever route you choose.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nah, you're not as far behind as you may think. You already have A+ and Network+ so there's your elective. I'm assuming you already have 70-210 or 70-270. If so, then there's your client exam. So all that's left is the 70-290 and 70-291 and you'll be an MCSA 2003.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's great you want to get your MCSA for 2003. But given you have 2000, I would just recommend you start in on your MCITP: Server Administrator for Windows 2008.

If I were hiring for a Windows 2003 admin, and you had 2000 creds I wouldn't hold it against you, in a way it shows you have been in the business longer. And the 2008 stuff would show you are trained and ready to take them to next versions.
    -Daniel
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    It's great you want to get your MCSA for 2003. But given you have 2000, I would just recommend you start in on your MCITP: Server Administrator for Windows 2008.

If I were hiring for a Windows 2003 admin, and you had 2000 creds I wouldn't hold it against you, in a way it shows you have been in the business longer. And the 2008 stuff would show you are trained and ready to take them to next versions.

I would second this opinion. Although you only need the 290 and 291 for the MCSA, so that's one more text than you would have needed if you had done the upgrade... But I think the Server 2008 exams would be very good for you. MCSA, MCITP: Server Administrator would be a good line on your resume.