Questions about Second Shot offer

The ShadowThe Shadow Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took and failed the 70-270 (XP) exam last Saturday and I went to sign up for the Second Shot offer, but when I tried to put the voucher number in on Prometric's web site the code wouldn't take. So I called up Microsoft and I asked them what's going on, and they said that I have to sign up for the Second Shot offer "before" I take the exam. So I am screwed now, and have to pay $125 bucks again to take the exam?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, unfortunately you need to use the code when you register for your first attempt.
  • The ShadowThe Shadow Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I now have to spend an additional $125 bucks...crap!
    so now that i have this voucher code, can use it to take the exam for a third time, if i were to fail the exam for a second time?
    Yes, but you're going to pass this next time, right? ;)
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    What I do is sign up for the 2nd shot before any Microsoft exam thus preventing your issue. It's either that, or predict which exam you're going to fail.
    alright let me see if i got this straight, so now that i have my voucher code, i go to Prometric's web site and pay for the exam, if I don't pass the exam, then I go back to prometric's web site and put in the voucher code for a retake, correct?
    No, you put the code in when you register and pay. There's a text-box up at the top for discount/voucher codes. It's stupid, but you won't get any sort of confirmation if the code is accepted. However, you will get an error if there is a problem.
    I went to the Microsoft's second shot web page, got a voucher code, then I signed up for the exam at Prometric's web site, and I put the voucher code in when I paid for the exam. Is there a number I can call (either Microsoft or Prometric) to confirm that my voucher code as been accepted for the second shot offer?
    You'd have to do it through Prometric. Just hit up their support/contact page for the info.
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    I've registered for the second shot twice now.

First time I did not need the second shot. (70-290)

Second time I did big-time (70-291) - re-sit due next week icon_sad.gif

I Registered for Second Shot Online and got a voucher number.
    On each occasion I've booked my exam by 'phone just in case and confirmed that I wanted to take advantage of the second shot offer.

If you should fail you can use the voucher number again as dynamik stated.
  • tawnostawnos Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where does the extra $35 come in? Do you have to pay it on top of the cost of the first test, or in lieu of what would otherwise be the cost of the second test? I.e. if i pass the test on the first attempt, am i paying the extra $35 or not? Seems a good deal if you can pay the normal $125 for the first attempt and $160 for 2 attempts, but not such a great deal if you have to pay $160 regardless of how many attempts it takes you.
    I believe the $35 is for their training bundle. You don't have to get that to use the second shot.
  • tawnostawnos Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ah ok, thats great then. The fact that everything i found that mentioned second shot on it had $35 plastered all over the place fooled me. So there's really no reason at all to take a test without signing up for second shot i guess.