Terminal Services Gateway (Server 2008)

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
Any of you running a Terminal Services Gateway in Windows Server 2008? We're an insurance company that is owned by around 50 small banks and they have users that need access to our insurance software. It's been a nightmare fighting bank IT departments to get GRE and RDP traffic enabled on their routers so they can VPN in to us. I'd love to take the VPN setup out of the equation, as I've got one bank I've been trying to work with for about 2 months now (they outsource their networking to Unisys and they require 4 days notice before making any network changes). Just wanted to see if any of you are running it, and have you noticed any recurring problems with it.

One thing I haven't found out is if your terminal servers also have to be Server 2008 or can you use Server 2003 in conjunction with Terminal Services Gateway. The remote printing is pretty neat too, we paid $1500 per server for a universal print driver thing called ScrewDrivers. It works pretty good, but is quite expensive.

Edit: Found the following page at TechNet which states the terminal servers can be Server 2008, or Server 2003 with SP1 or SP2 installed: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754252.aspx
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to update on this. I sent a RDP shortcut to one of the bank users I've been having the most trouble with and walked her through importing our self signed certificate. She connected with no issues at all! icon_lol.gif So we just pulled the trigger on a new server for gateway purposes with Server 2008 Standard and a trusted root SSL certificate. This is going to make my life sooo much easier! Note: I think MS says it *requires* XP SP3, but I verified that it works just fine with XP SP2 as long as you install the latest RDP client. We've had weird issues with SP3 in our office that I've had to roll everyone back to SP2, so this is good news to me at least.

Trying to talk the boss into updating our current terminal servers to Server 2008 as well to take advantage of EasyPrint. We're on the verge of having to add another server, and we'd have to buy another license of ScrewDrivers so people can print (again, it's $1,500 per server).
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    arwes wrote: »
    Just wanted to update on this. I sent a RDP shortcut to one of the bank users I've been having the most trouble with and walked her through importing our self signed certificate. She connected with no issues at all! icon_lol.gif So we just pulled the trigger on a new server for gateway purposes with Server 2008 Standard and a trusted root SSL certificate. This is going to make my life sooo much easier! Note: I think MS says it *requires* XP SP3, but I verified that it works just fine with XP SP2 as long as you install the latest RDP client. We've had weird issues with SP3 in our office that I've had to roll everyone back to SP2, so this is good news to me at least.

Trying to talk the boss into updating our current terminal servers to Server 2008 as well to take advantage of EasyPrint. We're on the verge of having to add another server, and we'd have to buy another license of ScrewDrivers so people can print (again, it's $1,500 per server).

I believe MS says that because RDP 6.1 is included in SP3. You can still install that without SP3 though.

Citrix is still far more efficient in traffic though than RDP.
    Good luck to all!