Juniper routers & Switches for home lab ?

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
Considering Juniper cert but what do you do for home lab equipment ? A quick scoot around ebay doesn't look as easy/cheap as Cisco ?

Am I missing something ?
Kam.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Considering Juniper cert but what do you do for home lab equipment ? A quick scoot around ebay doesn't look as easy/cheap as Cisco ?

Am I missing something ?

You might consider using Olive in a home lab instead of real Juniper equipment.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Will investigate.. Cheers Turg.
    Kam.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    There is much less used Juniper equipment as there is Cisco, so you are not likely to find many cheap deals on it.

Do a search for Juniper Olive, its basically running JunOS on a computer, and its your best bet.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    oh ya, juniper stuff ain't cheep, you'll pay between $500 and $900 per router, I have 7, convinced my wife it was an investment, which is was :D

Olives is the cheap way to go for sure, I had about 14 when I was studying for the JNCIP-M, had to pick up the real things to study for the JNCIE-M. But olives are definitely the way to go, much cheaper and do pretty much everything you need.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • kingcobra.guokingcobra.guo Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i use Olive,
    PC + JUNOS7.2 + 4*82559 ethernet card

cost: 40$

it is cheap
    i use Olive,

it is cheap

It definitely is cheap to build an olive, just finding compatible parts is what hard, but I would recommend going the olive route for anybody who wants to get their hands dirty :D

-Bender
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    i use Olive,

it is cheap

+ FreeBSD ;)

Olives are fun to build and great for labbing :D

Here is some more info:
    Olive - JuniperClue
  • kingcobra.guokingcobra.guo Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aldur wrote: »
    It definitely is cheap to build an olive, just finding compatible parts is what hard, but I would recommend going the olive route for anybody who wants to get their hands dirty :D

hehe, M/T router is very expensive for me, l use olive for self-study only.
  • redboynonoredboynono Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    any good topo ??
  • ScootDogScootDog Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was looking through my JNCIP study guide and I would like to know how did anyone using an olive simulate the ATM, POS interface portion of the labs? Did you just set them up as ethernet connections? Did not look too deeply, but were there any show commands that were particular to those interfaces? i.e., CCC encapsulation, etc.

Thanks!
    Hey Scoot,

Welcome to the forums, especially the Juniper forums :D

Yea, without a doubt you out of luck when it comes to olives and POS and ATM interfaces. What you just have to do is use the fast ether interfaces in place of them.

The ATM, POS, aggregated interfaces are still a significant part of the book so I would recommend reading up on them but fortunately there's not much to them. Even with that being said I would recommend that if you can get your hands on any REAL routers, such as at work or something, to practice a bit with ATM and POS interfaces.

Something else that I did that helped me was just doing a mock configuration of ATM and POS interfaces on the olives, you can configure them even if they're not there. Granted there was no way for me to test them but that honestly filled the gap for me.

HTH

-Bender