Commands needed for adding a VoIP phone in

Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know the commands should be fairly basic, but with all to choose from, I don't know which I need to just make it work. I have my analogue phones added, and I want to connect a VoIP phone in. My router is a 3810 and my switch is a 2950. All my phones are connected to the same router (the IP phone through the switch). I just want my IP phone to be able to call my analogue phones and vice versa.

Here are some commands that I've considered. These are all commands to get my IP phone configured - not necessarily in order. I don't know what needs to be added/deleted/modified at this point. I'm configuring my phones to be x1000 (analogue phone #1), x1001 (analogue phone #2), and x1003 (IP phone).

(config)#dial-peer voice 1002 voip
(config-dial-peer)#destination-pattern 1001
(config-dial-peer)#session target ipv4: ? <--- What would go here? If I'm configuring an IP phone, an IP address needs to go here, right?

(config)#telephony-service
(config-telephony)#max-ephones 2
(config-telephony)#max-dn 2
(config-telephony)#keepalive 10
(config-telephony)#exit

(config)#ephone-dn 1 dual-line
(config-ephone-dn)#number 1002
(config-ephone-dn)#exit

(config)#ephone 1
(config-ephone)#<mac-address>
(config-ephone)#button 1:1

(config)#ip dhcp pool ALL [Everything is being dumped into one VLAN]
(dhcp-config)#network 192.168.1.0
(dhcp-config)#default-router 192.168.1.1
(dhcp-config)#exit

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    (config-dial-peer)#session target ipv4: ? <--- What would go here? If I'm configuring an IP phone, an IP address needs to go here, right?
    Correct
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Correct

So if I'm wanting my IP phone to call my analogue phones, and they're all on the same subnet, are the analogue phones going to have an IP address? Do I put in a separate dial peer under the voip phone for each analogue phone IP? I know it's all obvious to you, but this is new to me. I'm still digging for answers.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Have a read through Dial Peer Configuration on Voice Gateway Routers. This should give you some direction and clear things up with a little reading.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    The analogue phone do not get an IP address...

Connect them via FXS ports [Foreign eXchange Station]... this will supply the battery\dial tone etc...

Then you create the following 'pots' dial-peers for them... not 'voip' dial-peers

dial-peer voice 10 pots
    destination pattern xxxx <--- Where xxxx equals the extension you want
    session target port 0/0/1 <--- Whatever FXS port the analogue phone is connected to

I'll get the config off my CME router for you to look at..as I'm sure there was a few other bits I configured, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A 3810 does a lot, even though it's an older model

But I don't think you can use it to get an IP Phone working

The link below gives you a good overview of what a 3810 can do (and it does a lot).

Quick Start Guide: Cisco MC3810 Installation and Startup [Cisco MC3810 Multiservice Access Concentrators] - Cisco Systems

A 3810 is on my lab wish list, but I don't think you can get an IP Phone up and running if the 3810 is your only router.

icon_cat.gif knows the MC3800's better than most of us - I'll wait for him to chime in
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Netwurk wrote: »
    icon_cat.gif knows the MC3800's better than most of us - I'll wait for him to chime in

Are you referring to :mikeicon_confused.gif Or some other cat herder here?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Are you referring to :mikeicon_confused.gif Or some other cat herder here?

My apologies for not following proper forum protocol

I meant icon_mike.gif

:)

In my defense, we really should not even have the potential to post the wrong cat icon

;)
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    icon_cat.gif

How dare you relate Mike to a retarded smiley face version of Bugs Bunny..... :D

Is it just me or does that really look like a poor attempt at ol' bugs...

icon_lol.gif

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There were a some 12.2 versions that supported SRST on the MC3810-V3 -- and probably MC3810 and MC3810-V versions with the memory and ROMs upgraded. Support was removed from the later MC3810 IOS versions and the spiffy new 1760-V routers picked up the support for the IP Phones being added to local networks. I have a couple of cheap 7912 IP Phones and used those, since they were the supported phones back when.... I can't remember if I ever tried the 7940/7960 phones with the MC3810s.

Check the MC3810 Platform Support on the Cisco IOS Feature navigator web page to find the IOS versions.

And when you search the Cisco Docs for "MC3810 SRST" also search for "SRS Telephony" -- since a lot of the older docs refer to SRST that way.
    APA wrote: »
    smiley face version of Bugs Bunny.....
    Isn't it Easter bunny time? We've got a rabbit teeth smilie, but no rabbit ears icon_rabbit.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A 3810 does a lot, even though it's an older model

The link below gives you a good overview of what a 3810 can do (and it does a lot).

Quick Start Guide: Cisco MC3810 Installation and Startup [Cisco MC3810 Multiservice Access Concentrators] - Cisco Systems

A 3810 is on my lab wish list, but I don't think you can get an IP Phone up and running if the 3810 is your only router.

If a 3810 won't work with IP phones, then I'd only be able to use them to connect to other routers, use with analogue phones, use as gatekeepers or gateways and such?

What router, then, should I try and get for IP phones without spending a fortune? Wouldn't I need other items in this router, like T1 ports, a DSP, FXS/FXO ports, etc? I have a 2600 router now that I could probably hook a switch up to with my IP phones attached to make work, but it has none of those things.
    If a 3810 won't work with IP phones, then I'd only be able to use them to connect to other routers, use with analogue phones, use as gatekeepers or gateways and such?

What router, then, should I try and get for IP phones without spending a fortune? Wouldn't I need other items in this router, like T1 ports, a DSP, FXS/FXO ports, etc? I have a 2600 router now that I could probably hook a switch up to with my IP phones attached to make work, but it has none of those things.

If your 2600 is an XM, you should be able to run CME on it if it has enough memory/flash. If you don't have access to a CME IOS & files, you should look for a router that has CME pre-loaded.

You don't need DSPs, voice ports, or a T1 port to run CME and use IP phones. You can always add them later (assuming your router is expandable).

Of course if you find a good deal on a CME router that also has all those extras, then go for it.

:)