Options

security+ level of difficulty

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
is security+ harder than network+?

Comments

• Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Yes.
    (Hmmm...forum won't accept succinct comments, so I include this extraneous parenthetical as filler)
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    laptop wrote: »
    is security+ harder than network+?

I will confirm next week and let you know icon_lol.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the Network+ last March and am doing the Security+ this Thursday. Hopefully, I'll be able to post my success Thursday afternoon. icon_biggrin.gif

• Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    CompTIA recommends that you have passed the Network+ before attempting the Security+. You should at least be comfortable with the Net+ material, as the Security+ builds on general networking concepts.

I think it is difficult to compare the two tests in terms of difficulty -- for whatever reason, I found the Security+ easier, and did better on it when I took it, than the Network+.
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    I will say yes. Reason why is because Sec+ is more memorization than everyday stuff for most people that take it. When I took it in Japan, the guy that worked there said that 50% of the people that take it fail it.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I found the Security+ to be much harder, but with my background, I have been exposed to Network+ concepts for many years before I took the exam.

If I had been exposed to the terminology and security concepts from the Security+ for many years, it would be a different story.
  • Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    I just took A+, Network+, and Security+ in the last 3 months. Here is how I ranked them.

1 = easy, 10 = hard

A+ = 2 / 10
    Network+ = 5 / 10
    Security+ = 7 / 10

It really depends on how much knowledge you have prior to studying though. It doesn't help that CompTIA throws in weird worded questions in the test.
  • Options
    ElvisG wrote: »
    I just took A+, Network+, and Security+ in the last 3 months. Here is how I ranked them.

1 = easy, 10 = hard

A+ = 2 / 10
    Network+ = 5 / 10
    Security+ = 7 / 10

It really depends on how much knowledge you have prior to studying though. It doesn't help that CompTIA throws in weird worded questions in the test.

Thanks for all replies.

ElvisG, may I ask you how much work experience you have? Your education and how many years you worked in IT. This will give me a better idea of what's it like.
  • Options
    7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I just finished the Security+ and passed. I think that Network+ is probably easier as you can get by with more memorization while the Security+ requires more conceptual understanding.

• Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    laptop wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies.

ElvisG, may I ask you how much work experience you have? Your education and how many years you worked in IT. This will give me a better idea of what's it like.

Work experience = 0 years
    Education = 4 years in college with only a associate
    Years in IT = 0 years

*Edit
    But I'm also the kind of person who was born to work in IT. I live and breath anything IT related. I had a Tandy 1000 in 3rd grade and loved to follow a programming book to see what would happen. I don't know or care to know anything about programming today. Once when I was in a finical bind, I had to cut my expensives to the bare minimum. With zero entertainment for 6 months, I read about every IT book at my local library.
  • Options
    Thank you.

I'll start with A+ and Network+. Hopefully I'll get these two certifications within 4 months. Then spend at least 4-5 months in Security+ then CCNA

ElvisG, I'm in a similar situation as you.
    0 Work experience
    0 Not in IT industry yet
    3 years of Business/IT education + 2 years of IT management education = 5
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I passed A+ with very little studying and no experience. I found Network+ to be difficult. I aced Security+ after 3-4 months of studying using multiple study guides and nothing else. The new Security+ exam is easy, IMO.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Too easy, just need to know the topic and what need to study. Remember it is a overall security concept and issues. Not vendor specific and think like the textbook.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In addition to what others have said, there is overlap in CompTIA exam material. You'll notice it when you take the exams. I found that there was some overlap between Network+, Security+, and even Server+. Just something to keep in mind when you're studying for them.