New JUNOS Books This Summer

zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
JUNOS Enterprise Switching , 800 pages , by Harry Reynolds, Doug Marschke

Product Description
Endorsed by Juniper Networks, this hands-on field guide to JUNOS switching is also a useful study guide for the certification exams from Juniper Networks (JNTCP) including the JNCIE-EX and certifications still in the planning stages. Each chapter ends with questions for self-examination. It also serves as a troubleshooting and configuration guide for enterprise engineers out in the field. Written by two Juniper product trainers, the book will walk readers through initial setup, operation, and maintenance of Juniper switches.

JUNOS High Availability , 700 pages , by Orin Blomberg, James Sonderegger, Senad Palislamovic, Kieran Milne

Product Description
If you rely on your network, outages can be deadly -- whether your network is a complex carrier network or just a few machines supporting a small enterprise. JUNOS High Availability will help you build reliable and resilient networks that won't fall prey to costly outages, with valuable advice on software upgrades, remote network monitoring and management, high-availability protocols such as VRRP, scalability, and much more.

Unlike other books on the market that tend to focus on designs for "Green Field" opportunities, JUNOS High Availability includes discussions on intelligent modification to the way existing protocols and platforms are used to improve network availability and eliminate costly downtime.

Most networks begin as single-vendor efforts, but very few stay that way. With the need to reduce costs and expand functionality, mature networks -- whether enterprise or service provider-owned -- eventually consist of products from multiple vendors. Inside this book, you'll find methods for integrating Juniper equipment with your existing Cisco products in ways that reduce threats to availability.

JUNOS High Availability can save you time and money no matter what kind of network you have, from the smallest SOHO network to the large campus nets found in colleges and universities, and all the way up to truly large-scale carrier networks. This book conforms to JUNOS Technical Certification requirements, and is authored by four system engineers with vast expertise in maintaining continuous systems. JUNOS High Availability is part of the Juniper Networks' Technical Library.

Also, Kieran Milne's bio mentions he authored the O'Reilly book JUNOS Networking Essentials. I haven't found any other info on that book. I'm assuming it's a coming soon and not an old and discontinued.

Pretty exciting new books. That high availability one sounds really neat.

And no rossonieri, not me... thanks though ;) Maybe one day....

Comments

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    zoidberg,
    And no rossonieri, not me... thanks though Maybe one day....

WOW ... that pigeon must be super duper supersonic fly to delivers the news icon_lol.gif
    its ok - i hope someday you'll give me your book - the one you co-edited with aldur ;)

and aldur, where are you? :D

hahaha ... just kidding folks :D
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    WOW ... that pigeon must be super duper supersonic fly to delivers the news icon_lol.gif
    its ok - i hope someday you'll give me your book - the one you co-edited with aldur ;)

Guilty as charged ;)

And that would be the day that I co-author a book icon_surprised.gif

But I'm really looking forward to the two books that zoidberg mentioned. Which hopefully by summer time I'll have this pesky JNCIE out of the way :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

this guy really dont want to wait for me -
    not to mention that he also planning the IE-ER on 6/19 ;)

its ok. its not a fasttrack program anymore - its a supersonictrack, i'm off of the league :D
    i voluntarily disbanded from the race - and go down to second division
    so there goes my champions league trophy icon_lol.gif

hahahaha ... just kidding folks icon_lol.gif

cheers ;)
    this guy really dont want to wait for me -
    not to mention that he also planning the IE-ER on 6/19 ;)

its ok. its not a fasttrack program anymore - its a supersonictrack, i'm off of the league :D
    i voluntarily disbanded from the race - and go down to second division
    so there goes my champions league trophy icon_lol.gif

hahahaha ... just kidding folks icon_lol.gif

cheers ;)

lol, I'm just trying to catch up with zoidberg, which seems about impossible to do :D

The June 19th date is when I'm going to be in Sunnyvale doing training anyhow so I figured might as well take a wack at the IE then icon_cool.gif

I'm actually hoping to take a shot at the IE in the first week of June of I can get the travel approved, we'll see how it goes.

-Bender
  • zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you even get any dates the first week? From what I've been hearing from my buddies they vanished super fast.
    June 2nd and June 4th are still open for the IP/IE-M and the IE-ER. I'm still waiting to hear back on travel approval but I'm not too hopeful since I'm being set to sunnyvale mid june for training anyhow. Since the economy has tanked travel restrictions have tightened up considerably... icon_sad.gif

But Tokyo has plenty of slots open? world wide road trip anybody?? :D

-Bender
    i'm game :P anything to get out of the office :)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Dammit, don't you think I have enough to study? This is all a conspiracy to keep me from getting my work done. . . stop taunting me with new and interesting books!!! icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    also a useful study guide for the certification exams from Juniper Networks (JNTCP) including the JNCIE-EX and certifications still in the planning stages.
    A JNCIE title for switching? cool. I welcome this seperation between routing and switching, unlike CCIE...
    It seems that Juniper folks want to push their switching products to the forefront badly.
    ccnpninja wrote: »
    A JNCIE title for switching? cool. I welcome this seperation between routing and switching, unlike CCIE...
    It seems that Juniper folks want to push their switching products to the forefront badly.

Another Juniper IE!?!? NOOOO, I can't take any more studying!

Although, by the time I get my IE-ER out of the way switching would be cool to have under my belt. Just imagine, 3xJNCIE, sounds cool doesn't it icon_cool.gif

-Bender
    Another Juniper IE!?!? NOOOO, I can't take any more studying!

well well welll ... look who will sit at the testing center tomorrow?
    is it a bird? is it a plane? nope ... just him ... hahahahahaha icon_lol.gif
    just kidding, good luck to you sir :D
    Although, by the time I get my IE-ER out of the way switching would be cool to have under my belt. Just imagine, 3xJNCIE, sounds cool doesn't it

aaa ... someone must be got that 100gb effect here - he cant take those temptations icon_lol.gif

someone trying to make us "readers" jealous :D
    zoidberg,
    i'm game :P anything to get out of the office

what do you mean you're game?
    so, thats it? and just leave aldur alone, like that - and makes him wondering how he can pass you?

wow, thats cruel ... totally uncool :LOL:
    you should wait him - take another IE - like the new switching :LOL:

hahaha ... smile up folks - dont get way too serious ;)
    hahaha, no man, i meant i'm game, lets jet off to tokoyo and do some labs :) haha

and damn! i misread that. i read JNCIA-EX and others being developed. Not JNCIE-EX!!! Time to get this CCIE out of the way cuz this summer i'm going for JNCIEx3. SWWEEEEEETTTT!!! :)

It's like collecting hockey cards, or for you american's, baseball cards.... i need the whole set :P i'm addicted hahaha
    Google shows mention of JNCIA-EX, JNCIE-X, and JNCIE-EX in relation to the switching book.

However..... there's this comment from Doug:

They don't exist. That was a publisher getting a little too excited.
    Sorry for the confusion.

Doug Marschke
    Chief Technology Officer
    JNCIE-ER #3, JNCIE-M #41, JNCIS-FW, JNIL
    (415) 902-5702 (cell)
    (415)-358-4059 (fax)
    Proteus Networks

Buuuuut, maybe they don't exist today.... one day? soooon? at least the JNCIE-EX? :)
    For awhile I was thinking they might come out with a JNCIE-R&S, but as Aldur will soon find out, that JNCIE-ER covers A LOT of ground. To add switching to that??? You'd either take away too much from the routing, or really really destroy the brains of those attempting the exam ;) But to make a whole JNCIE out of switching... hmmmm, interesting. Either way, My name is Zoidberg, and I'm a Juniper Certaholic :)
    Mr. Zoidberg,

Dear Sir,
    Either way, My name is Zoidberg, and I'm a Juniper Certaholic

Reading your 2 posts above,
    I think i should stay away from you.
    It just not good for my health and my wealth,
    and not to mention you already have abandoned your admirer whom cant even get a decent sleep at night - dreaming that double-triple-decker IE belt :LOL:

I'm done sir, i should step down to second division now ...

hahahaha :LOL:

i'm wondering how will aldur read our posts Mr. 'Z', :LOL:
    and I noticed that you also in the GroupStudy?
    I don't use GroupStudy too much for 2 reasons:
    1) I can't figure out how to change my password and I can't remember the random one they generated for me so I have to check my email every time I want to log in.
    2) This forum is way more fun ;)

k, #1 is pretty lame considering the brilliant people that frequent GS. But seriously, how do you change your password?!?!?!

And no, I haven't ditched that Aldur guy. I can't shake him. He knows how to hunt me down even away from this forum. There was even talk of a Calafornia road-trip to fail some lab exams exams together. :) hey, I'm humble enough to admit my Cisco has become weak after doing all this Juniper stuff. And although Aldur thinks he'll fail, I'm pretty sure he's got the ER in the bag.

And come on, there's no second division, you're still in the game. It's all about learning new stuff and having fun.
    zoidberg wrote: »
    Google shows mention of JNCIA-EX, JNCIE-X, and JNCIE-EX in relation to the switching book.

However..... there's this comment from Doug:

They don't exist. That was a publisher getting a little too excited.
    Sorry for the confusion.

Doug Marschke
    Chief Technology Officer
    JNCIE-ER #3, JNCIE-M #41, JNCIS-FW, JNIL
    (415) 902-5702 (cell)
    (415)-358-4059 (fax)
    Proteus Networks

Buuuuut, maybe they don't exist today.... one day? soooon? at least the JNCIE-EX? :)
    For awhile I was thinking they might come out with a JNCIE-R&S, but as Aldur will soon find out, that JNCIE-ER covers A LOT of ground. To add switching to that??? You'd either take away too much from the routing, or really really destroy the brains of those attempting the exam ;) But to make a whole JNCIE out of switching... hmmmm, interesting. Either way, My name is Zoidberg, and I'm a Juniper Certaholic :)

Yap, I confirmed the same thing with a Juniper proctor, nothing in the works for JNCIE-EX, although that would be sweet, possibility of 3xJNCIE!

I have heard a rumor of combining the JNCIE-ER with switching making a JNCIE-R&S like you were thinking zoidberg. Your exactly right though, they would have to take alot of of the current IE-ER to make room for switching materials. And I want to make sure I get the IE-ER before that possibly happens. I have the J-series routers to play with and I can't stomache forking out the cash for the switches.... Those are PRICY little suckers!

I feel your pain and have the addiction, we need to start a group therapy session for our problem... Juniper Certs Anonymous, JCA?

-Bender
    zoidberg wrote: »
    I don't use GroupStudy too much for 2 reasons:
    1) I can't figure out how to change my password and I can't remember the random one they generated for me so I have to check my email every time I want to log in.
    2) This forum is way more fun ;)

k, #1 is pretty lame considering the brilliant people that frequent GS. But seriously, how do you change your password?!?!?!

HAHAHA, I was looking for that damn password change button yesterday on group study, is it even possible to change anything about your profile there?

And your right, this forum is much more fun icon_cool.gif

-Bender