OSPF Lab in the future?

cellophanecorecellophanecore Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Webmaster, any plans for an OSPF lab anytime in the future? I hear a lot of people are getting OSPF sims on the CCNA.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I have to admit I neglected the CCNA section for some time. I'll try to get back on track by writing someting soon.
    I hear a lot of people are getting OSPF sims on the CCNA.
    People shouldn't disclose such information... but I'll see what I can do. The thing is that I have only two routers myself and OSPF is not meant for such small networks. Nevertheless, for the CCNA you will only need to know the basics so I think I should be able to set up a useful lab about OSPF.

Don't hesitate to reply to this message to remind me if you don't see anything about this is the next couple of weeks...
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you know i told my friend out that as well and he didn't believe me either.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    Well, you should keep in mind that the above is true for all routing protocol: with only two routers you should use static routing and/or default routes.

OSPF can run in 'single area mode' and multi-area. To practice the latter somewhat realisticly, you will need at least three routers. However, this is an important part of the BSCI (CCNP Routing) exam, not in the CCNA. Nevertheless, I think it is possible to practice OSPF (as far as needed for the CCNA exam) with two routers. I passed the BSCI exam last year, but when I took the CCNA exam the only thing you needed to know about OSPF is that it is a link state protocol so I have to do some research in regards to how in depth CCNA covers OSPF.
  • stnoscstnosc Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ICND v2.2 has OSPF as part of the course. One could assume that it is one of the topics covered in CCNA.

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/front.x/wwtraining/CELC/index.cgi?action=CourseDesc&COURSE_ID=4155

I don't personally know this since I took CCNA v1 a while back and RIP and IGRP were the testable protocols back then.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    The Cisco Academy curriculum focuses pretty heavily on OSPF in a single area configuration, so I wouldn't be much surprised if there were router sim questions
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
    I think stnosc misread the posts somehow... there was and is no doubt if OSPF is one the exam, it is. Unlike RIP for example, OSPF provides a huge amount of configuration commands, all extensively covered in the BSCI exam, the question is how far do they go, and should we.
  • stnoscstnosc Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    I think stnosc misread the posts somehow... there was and is no doubt if OSPF is one the exam, it is. Unlike RIP for example, OSPF provides a huge amount of configuration commands, all extensively covered in the BSCI exam, the question is how far do they go, and should we.

Yup, I guess that's what happens when I skim over the thread instead of reading carefully. Sorry for the useless input.... icon_redface.gif
  • vlsm or cidr ??vlsm or cidr ?? Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm sure you will get few questions on OSPF and even a simulation. Check the exam objective from Cisco for further details.
  • RichGF37RichGF37 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can safely assure you that OSPF is extensively covered in the CCNA 640-601 ICND exam - I got a total of six questions on OSPF and one of them was a router-sim.
    icon_eek.gif