On CAPM

So I'm taking the CAPM exam sometime this summer. I signed up for an account on PMI's site, then started the application for CAPM certification.

The CAPM requires 1500 hour of experience OR 23 hours of education. I took a class in my last semester of undergrad study that was mostly project management material, so I put in for a good bit of hours using that course.

Well, my application was accepted! They said I needed to pay the $300 for the exam, so I did, only to find out immediately that I was chosen randomly for an audit of my credentials approving me for taking the CAPM exam! I called and they said an unofficial school transcript was acceptable. They require it be sent by snail mail, so I'm sending it over.

I'm reading the PMBOK, 3rd Edition, PMP Bible, and other random materials.

I started this thread to share my experience with it, but has anyone taken the CAPM exam?

Comments

• hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    After reading your post, I looked at the CAPM.. I even read a few chapters of a CAPM book...seems like in the PM world the PMP is the only respectible cert. Anyone care to comment?
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I'd have to agree. Not to say anything else, such as Project+ and CAPM, are worthless. The others still show a level of knowledge. The reason I'm getting the CAPM is to show my foundational level of knowledge in the PM field as well as to brush up on the whole field of PM. I don't intend on getting the PMP for several years.
    Just received word my materials sent in for the audit were approved and I can now schedule the exam!
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I have not taken the CAPM, but I will tell you that reading the PMBOK is about as fun as watching paint dry. I guess it all depends on the individual, but I thought it was very dry and sleep inducing.

Rita Mulcahy's book is generally considered the best

Amazon.com: PMP Exam Prep, Fifth Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam: Rita Mulcahy: Books

For related articles and white papers

Project Management Articles - PM Hut

Podcast

The Project Management Podcast? - Home
    Thanks a ton for those links! I wasn't aware of Rita's books, but thanks to your link I found:

Amazon.com: CAPM Exam Prep, Premier Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the CAPM Exam, 3rd Edition: Rita Mulcahy: Books

I'm ordering it and will be using it along with part-time PMBOK usage. :)
    I also am checking our Rita's book. Turns out we have a local (ok, 3 hours away) PMI chapter. I am considering joining ($129 for individual PMI + $30 local dues -- yearly).

Since Proj+ forum traffic is low, maybe a PMP/CAPM/Proj+/ITIL forum would be cool?
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I just completed a PMP/Certificate in Advance Project Management class and the book we used was "The PMP Exam: How To Pass On Your First Try" (3rd Edition) by Andy Crowe, PMP. It's a great book and I highly recommend it.

By the way, as hypnotoad mentioned, PMI charges $129 to join as an individual. However, they give you a $150 credit towards your PMP exam fee. So you practically join for free!
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't taken the CAPM so I don't know much about it....PMP's aren't allowed to take it, and as others have said, there's not much reason to.

When I did the PMP, I read the PMBOK, and as Larry says that's about as fun slamming your business in a door a few times.

The Rita Mulcahey stuff was about the best study material I found for the PMP, and her exam prep questions were very good. I do not know if she has produced CAPM material, but I would suspect she has something for it, being the profit-minded gal that she is.

I've taken some flak for this before in various settings, but the PMP was about the easiest certification exam I've ever taken. It was 200 questions of sheer boredom and simply selecting the correct answer. The score report doesn't tell you, but I think I only missed 1 or 2. I point this out only because the CAPM, being an 'entry level' project management cert, is likely much easier than the PMP. In any event, I look forward to your success at it and hearing about your experience.

As far as the industry value of the CAPM; That's hard to say, as I've yet to encounter a single person that holds it. That in and of itself is meaningless, as I've also never encountered anyone with the PgMp for program management. I would think more than anything if you were applying for a job and you were equal to other applicants in every other way, then being able to show PM experience/credentials might be a differentiating factor.....

MS
  • gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    So I'm taking the CAPM exam sometime this summer. I signed up for an account on PMI's site, then started the application for CAPM certification.

The CAPM requires 1500 hour of experience OR 23 hours of education. I took a class in my last semester of undergrad study that was mostly project management material, so I put in for a good bit of hours using that course.

Well, my application was accepted! They said I needed to pay the $300 for the exam, so I did, only to find out immediately that I was chosen randomly for an audit of my credentials approving me for taking the CAPM exam! I called and they said an unofficial school transcript was acceptable. They require it be sent by snail mail, so I'm sending it over.

I'm reading the PMBOK, 3rd Edition, PMP Bible, and other random materials.

I started this thread to share my experience with it, but has anyone taken the CAPM exam?

Great thread to start! I am also looking to take the CAPM by the end of the year (working on some other certs). Like you i also took a class in my undergrad on Project management and it got me interested in the subject. Im hoping that my hours there would allow me to take the course. I know that its not as accepted as the PMP but since i cant take the PMP yet i figured it would be a good start and a way to help me set myself apart from others.

Question though, between CAPM and project+, which does anyone think is better to get to start off?
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    If you don't qualify to take the PMP exam, then I personally think doing your CAPM first then following it up with the Project+ is the way to go.
    Man, at this rate it'll take me years to get several thousand more hours. I might feel like a nerd if I'm the only kid on the block with a measley CAPM though. I have too many "Associate" certs and not enough "Professional" certs icon_sad.gif
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm debating taking the CAPM as well (don't qualify for the PMP at this point in my career). I wasn't sure if I wanted to pursue the CAPM or just do the PMP after I meet the requirements, but I'm finishing up my last classes for my bachelor's degree and I am currently enrolled in a project management class. I've debated picking up another reading resource and sitting the CAPM to have an extra edge over other candidates hopefully.

Still undecided how I will approach this. On one hand of things this month is pretty much shot for extra study time since I have two classes and 4 cert exams booked for May. Two of the exams are for the MCITP: EA track and I would ideally like to keep knocking those out come June and July. Time to prioritize I suppose... too many certs, too little time.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where are you at with this? I was just talking about CAPM and wanted to reference this thread since I thought you were done with this. Get to it already! ;)
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've taken the CAPM exam. Talk about paint drying and inconsequential nonsense.If you're looking to get into a PMO then it's probably the exam for you.

Personally I'd wait until I had all the experience necessary to write the PMP (not that hard to get) and not waste money on this exam. Frankly as far as I'm concerned all they've done is taken an XX manager and added a whole bunch of definitions for topics. Charged an abhorrent amount of money for a common sense guide and like a true business keep charging you to keep the PMP shiny.

If you can't say you've managed X hundred thousands/million on a project or in a department you still won't get the job.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I think we all like wasting money on certs, thats why we come to this board ;)

I am taking a couple of project management courses (online/night) and figured I would finish it off with the CAPM exam. Sure it may be an entry level cert, but you have to start somewhere and I am years away from PMP.
  • NilanshNilansh Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently pursuing my B.tech from civil Engineering. I Cam to know about CAPM from a friend of mine. I would like to know if it would be of any use to me in near future as i would start working two years from now.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would focus on getting hands on project management experience. That is truly where you will make the biggest strides.

If you must I would wait till you gain some project experience and then focus on the PMP. The CAPM doesn't do much to be honest. Even with my skill sets I still get very little looks. Most of the attention I garner is from operational managment (yuk) or tier 3 level technical roles. Nothing project (they want experience period)
  • Project ManagementProject Management Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you darkerosxx,something similar happened me but I was actually refused based on class time I did in college. When I contacted them I was told had to get the "1500 hour of experience OR 23 hours of education", like you said. I am very disappointed and unsure of what to do next. I have know where near enough experience hours. Do you think I should work on building up my experience or go do a short course. Can you please comment and advise me.

Much appreciated
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Hate to bring an old topic alive, but what's the difficulty of the CAPM?

Does it have good advice for running an actual project? In other words, certification aside, did you learn anything or would you learn anything if you weren't too familiar with running projects?