Exchange 2010 Beta!!!!!

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/2010/en/us/default.aspx

:)

You can download a 360 day trial! Get on it!

Hoorayyyyy!
MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |

Comments

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Does Mr Royal or someone else care to inform us if exchange 2010 will also be built on powershell?

Thanks for the link!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Booooooo

I'm still trying to get up to speed on 2007. I was hoping they go with another four-year gap.

Yea, Powershell will remain. Powershell 2.0 will be included with Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, so it's safe to say that it's going to be with us from here on out (or at least until something better comes along).
  • Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    Yes it will be built upon Powershell 2.0 this time around. The major changes in Ex2007 like the different roles appear to be the same.

I would say this upgrade is more in line with Ex2000 to Ex 2003.

I was discourged to see that the download does not include a 32 bit version for testing or running labs. Or I just couldn't find it.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Whats exchange?

icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    dynamik wrote: »
    Booooooo

I'm still trying to get up to speed on 2007. I was hoping they go with another four-year gap.

Yea, Powershell will remain. Powershell 2.0 will be included with Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, so it's safe to say that it's going to be with us from here on out (or at least until something better comes along).

Powershell is now a part of the engineering criteria for all new MS products.
    Good luck to all!
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Powershell is now a part of the engineering criteria for all new MS products.

Thanks for basically saying the same thing but making me look dumb in the process icon_thumright.gif;)
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I thought this was going to be more of an evolution vs a revolution and they would go with the 2007 R2 name. After reveiwing some articles on technet, a lot has changed. No more LCR, SCC or storage groups. Now we have Database Availability Groups and tigheter integration with OCS.

What's New in Exchange Server 2010

More info:
    You Had Me At EHLO... : Presenting Exchange Server 2010
    Exchange Server 2010 Forum
    Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 (Beta)
    dynamik wrote: »
    Thanks for basically saying the same thing but making me look dumb in the process icon_thumright.gif;)

LOL! No, I was saying it's actually official policy all new Microsoft server products absolutely MUST have full PowerShell functionality from here on out. That's why W2K8 R2 for example had to have AD cmdlets for example. Microsoft development teams don't have a choice anymore.

http://blogs.technet.com/benp/archive/2007/11/23/powershell-to-be-added-to-common-engineering-criteria.aspx
    Good luck to all!
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be more of an evolution vs a revolution and they would go with the 2007 R2 name. After reveiwing some articles on technet, a lot has changed. No more LCR, SCC or storage groups. Now we have Database Availability Groups and tigheter integration with OCS.

What's New in Exchange Server 2010

More info:
    You Had Me At EHLO... : Presenting Exchange Server 2010
    Exchange Server 2010 Forum
    Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 (Beta)

LCR is gone because NO ONE uses it. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah but SCC is... icon_sad.gif
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Yeah but SCC is... icon_sad.gif

That's because, according to Microsoft,
    Some administrators were intimidated by the complexity of Windows failover clustering
    New High Availability Functionality

But there is good news, because with 2010
    Multiple server roles can co-exist on servers that provide high availability. This enables small organizations to deploy a two-server configuration provides full redundancy of mailbox data, while also providing redundant Client Access and Hub Transport services.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    That's because, according to Microsoft,

New High Availability Functionality

But there is good news, because with 2010

Sounds like it will be easier but I wouldn't exactly call it intimidating.
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    I use LCR :) only as an added bonus though, so I suppoooose...

... note to those out there trying it on VMWare ESXi, I just tried to load it on my DL380G5 box that had a plain jane x64 2008 setup and it bombed out stating that it was not supported.

Any success in VMWare yet?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I have to admit that we're excited about the new version of Exchange at our work. It'll be the first version designed with Windows Server 2008 in mind, which is all we run. So, yeah, we'll be testing out the beta. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Multiple server roles can co-exist on servers that provide high availability. This enables small organizations to deploy a two-server configuration provides full redundancy of mailbox data, while also providing redundant Client Access and Hub Transport services.
    I like this
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    I wonder what this will look like:
    In Exchange 2010, Role Based Access Control (RBAC) has replaced the permissions model that was used in Exchange 2007. RBAC lets you define extremely broad or extremely precise roles and assignments based on the roles of your administrators and users, and the tasks they perform. Access to the cmdlets and parameters required to perform a task is granted by assigning the related RBAC management role to a user or universal security group. If you want to grant an administrator or user the ability to perform tasks in Exchange 2010, you must either add the administrator or user to a universal security group that already has been assigned a specific RBAC role, or you must assign the role directly to the administrator or user.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Also gone is Single Instance Storage in the database.
    As an added feature, the store will now compress attachments (and perhaps entire messages?) to save space.

Windows IT Pro has an interesting First Look article:
    A First Look at Exchange 2010
    We'll still have public folders
    IT guy since 12/00

• CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Why would you want to get rid of SIS in any situation? Wouldnt this make your storage requirements explode? I thought I understood SIS to be a single copy of the data in the database and everyone that uses that database has a reference to that data as opposed to a duplicate of if in their mailbox. Have I been horribly off? Please help my limited Newtonian prone brain.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CoryS wrote: »
    Why would you want to get rid of SIS in any situation? Wouldnt this make your storage requirements explode? I thought I understood SIS to be a single copy of the data in the database and everyone that uses that database has a reference to that data as opposed to a duplicate of if in their mailbox. Have I been horribly off? Please help my limited Newtonian prone brain.
    Exchange 2007 (and later) best practices dictate that you will likely end up with numerous databases (to keep the DB size of each one under 200MB) and since SIS only works on a single database and not across storage groups it's not doing much these days. Attachment compression is actually going to save more space going forward.
    CoryS wrote: »

And keep in mind SIS is highly overrated. At best you usually only end up saving on average 10%. Even in products such as Enterprise Vault which is far more likely to have SIS scenarios, you don't save as much as you'd think.
    Good luck to all!
    I have seen SIS save 37% in a database, but that was a special case. The users in that particular database sent large attachments to multiple people all the time (something the new 'Mail Tips' will bark about) so SIS seemed to really work for them. However SIS doesn't help when people delete messages. If I send a 5MB attachment to 10 people, its only 5MB in the DB. If 9 of them delete it, then it's still 5MB in the DB. Your email hoarders eat up space that SIS can't help with but compression will always apply.

Trying to plan DB layouts with SIS as a primary concern leads to some questionable design decisions. Keeping all of a department's users in one DB will maximize SIS, but if that DB is offline for any reason then the entire department is without email. Splitting the users across multiple DBs and servers is a better high availability choice but it lessens the impact of SIS.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    go M$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ push those margins
    oh yeah all MS stuff is 100% ready out of box no need or any patches
    or any calls to MS for 200.00 a pop to India! non! best software inthe world! what a need of more exachange software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    screw 2007 hahahahaha ahhaicon_lol.gif
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    or any calls to MS for 200.00 a pop to India! non! best software inthe world! what a need of more exachange software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha,

that was a totally random post robert ;)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Downloaded yesterday and I am excited. I am installing it on a Windows Server 2008 Enterprise virtual machine which is hosted on Citrix XenServer 5.0 (HP DL350G5).

By the way I am not overly impressed by Exchange 2007. The ideal to limit the GUI interface functionality and switch everything to powershell was dumb. As a IT manager this adds too much overhead into completing tasks. They have over-complicated Exchange 2007 and Windows 2008. I have managed Linux email systems before, now it seems I am moving back to that era of scripting everything. I hope Exchange 2010 offers something better!!
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    The Exchange team was short on time and wasn't able to implement a lot of the functionality into the GUI. That was dramatically improved with SP1. It seems like anything that's still not in the GUI is more specialized, and in all honesty, really isn't that complicated to carry out.
    itdaddy wrote: »

No software is perfect. How about learning the product before you trash it? That would take care of most of the $200 per support incident you're paying, too.

Say what you want about the GUI, but you can do almost everything in the GUI with E2K7. You can do virtually nothing via command line in previous versions of Exchange.

Sorry, but when mailbox reports goes from this:

Set listExchange_Mailboxs = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\COMPUTERNAME\ROOT\MicrosoftExchangeV2").InstancesOf("Exchange_Mailbox")

For Each objExchange_Mailbox in listExchange_Mailboxs

WScript.echo "AssocContentCount =” + objExchange_Mailbox.AssocContentCount

WScript.echo " DateDiscoveredAbsentInDS =” + objExchange_Mailbox.DateDiscoveredAbsentInDS

WScript.echo " DeletedMessageSizeExtended =” + objExchange_Mailbox. DeletedMessageSizeExtended

WScript.echo " LastLoggedOnUserAccount =” + objExchange_Mailbox. LastLoggedOnUserAccount

WScript.echo " LastLogoffTime =” + objExchange_Mailbox. LastLogoffTime

WScript.echo " LastLogonTime =” + objExchange_Mailbox. LastLogonTime

WScript.echo " LegacyDN =” + objExchange_Mailbox. LegacyDN

WScript.echo " MailboxDisplayName =” + objExchange_Mailbox. MailboxDisplayName

WScript.echo " MailboxGUID =” + objExchange_Mailbox. MailboxGUID

WScript.echo " ServerName =” + objExchange_Mailbox. ServerName

WScript.echo " Size =” + objExchange_Mailbox. Size

WScript.echo " StorageGroupName =” + objExchange_Mailbox. StorageGroupName

WScript.echo " StorageLimitInfo =” + objExchange_Mailbox. StorageLimitInfo

WScript.echo " StoreName =” + objExchange_Mailbox. StoreName

WScript.echo " TotalItems =” + objExchange_Mailbox. TotalItems

Next

To this:

get-mailboxstatistics –server $servername

You got a good product. When the command line is as good as PowerShell is, I'll take E2K7 in a heartbeat.
    Good luck to all!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Aw man, and here I am still studying Ex 03.
    Guess I'll catch up one day icon_smile.gif
    Here I am working on a custom IIFP GALSync Free/Busy solution for sharing between two organizations, wishing there were an easier way to do this, and here comes Exchange 2010 with Federated Sharing.

I don't know if I like using Windows Live as a broker between the organizations, but my clients will probably like it more than paying for ILM licenses.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Downloaded the beta and have 1 tb drives on order for my VMware test box. Hopefully, I will be able to get it to run on ESXi.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete