Server + or 70-290

NvermindNvermind Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey all,

I have just finished my MSDST. Should I press on for the MCSA or go to a Server+ cert.

Reason I am wondering is my current employer is on a novell network. If I get the 290 it may not be relevant enough to a novell network to get me up the ladder... but if I change jobs it will as nearly all adverts ask for it - if there were any jobs that is!

But the Server+ being vendor neutral would presumably show a competancy with any network? Meaning I could stay here with a chance of promotion or move company if the opportunity arose.

What do you guys think - MS or CompTIA?

Thanks for reading!
Leave the monkies alone! They've got problems enough as it is!

Comments

• jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Go MCSA.
    Security+ is a lifetime cert but MCSA is more recognized right now.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Server+ emphasizes actual server hardware and data center operations. Different NOS's are explored, not just Microsoft. There is a lot about disaster preparation and recovery, along with some network and data center security. Redundant storage is a big part of the subject matter--RAID, NAS, SAN.

70-290 concentrates on the Microsoft server operating system and its uses.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your decision!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218

Server+ is crap imho.

Thats one topic that shouldnt really be vender neutral.
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    On the other hand, if you fail Server + you will have to shell off another 215.00 USD (that is the cheapest price i found), while with MS tests it cost $125 plus in case you fail you can retake it for free (second shot).
  • maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    go for network+, security+ then mcsa, server+ is an extension of a+ you can do it if you want to... it looks good on the CV but also youd learn a lot of cool stuff about server hardware.

network+ can help you understand some basics of novell network behaviour...
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    70-290!! The MCSA track will be more beneficial in the long run than Server +.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely go for 70-290 and finisih up your MCSA. The things you learn from Server+ are beneficial but I have never seen it in a job ad.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you can use you MCDST as an elective towards MCSA...i'd say do the 290....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)