Options

POP3 and SMTP

I have an issue whereby we have a remote site with 4 users who are using POP3 for their email, at our office we use SMTP. Can i setup exchange 2003 to use both?

Comments

• Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    You can set up your exchange server where it will be a pop server. Our office, we have an exchange server in house and it is also used as a pop service from some people.
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    billybob01 wrote: »
    I have an issue whereby we have a remote site with 4 users who are using POP3 for their email, at our office we use SMTP. Can i setup exchange 2003 to use both?

POP is the protocol whereby a host pulls mail from another host, such as a client workstation pulling mail from an exchange server. This is generally available on most email clients.

SMTP is the protocol for sending mail from one host to another, such as when you exchange server delivers a message to a server on the internet.

MAPI is the protocol used by Microsoft Outlook to support the features designed into Exchange by microsoft. This can be tunneled through https.

All of these can exist simultaneously on your Exchange server.

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    If you have remote clients who need access to Exchange, you definitely should look at RPC over HTTPS (aka Outlook Anywhere) if they have full Outlook, or just have them use Outlook Web Access.

POP3 lacks numerous features, such as full calendaring functionality, access to public folders, Exchange address lists, free/busy, and more.
    Good luck to all!