Again my book is contradicting itself.

Which layer is the Proxy server on: Transport, or Application

It makes me wonder if these are right

Netbios layer 5

Netbeui layer 4

Is that right?

Comments

• ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    It works at layer 4 to layer 7, in general. There are different types of proxy servers that perform different functions.

Proxy server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    amtt81 wrote: »
    Again my book is contradicting itself.

Which layer is the Proxy server on: Transport, or Application

It makes me wonder if these are right

Netbios layer 5

Netbeui layer 4

Is that right?

First,

Which book are you using? And without breaking the copyright, are you certain they are being discussed in the same context? Perhaps it isn't a contradiction as much as it is a misunderstanding of the presented topics.

Second, have you confirmed the errata with the publisher to ensure there has not been an update to the section of book you are referencing? It is not uncommon for a book to be printed and some errors to be found afterward.

If you are using a quality book like on from Meyers or Sybex, they have been publishing and explaining this material for many years now and have their facts pretty accurate. So, check the errata and also re-read the material, then source the topic with another publisher, perhaps it is just a misunderstanding? Without knowing your reference it is difficult to say.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • amtt81amtt81 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Que published Exam Cram Network+ study guide is what I am using. I have been taking notes as I go and one not says one thing and then the answer to a practice test says another. No I havent contacted the publisher, but that is a good idea. Their test questions are definitely buggy though, i mean I have found 5 questions whose answers match my selected answer, but they tell me I got the question wrong. Plus it is telling me that an 83% is failing, of 90 questions, which didnt jive with what I read on here about real passing scores.

I guess the long and short of it is, what should I answer for the test for the above OSI layers?

Thanks for you feedback. These boards are really key I think, and the support from those of you ahead of me is absolutely great!
    If they ask you the question about what layer does a proxy server work at then it will be obvious. Like for example...

1) Data Link
    2) Network
    3) Physical
    4) Application

I assure you that it will be common sense if you have studied.
    So that would be the Application layer, right? - I wish after studying for 2 months it was that obvious to me. Or I would have taken the test a month ago. I dont do well with multiple choice- but i was a great student at great schools my whole life.
    Yes. For the Network+, always consider a proxy server working at Layer 7 unless told differently. Like for example...

1) Data Link
    2) RJ45
    3) Network
    4) Transport

In this case, you would pick Transport. Like I said, 90% of the Network+ test answers, you will be able to pick out the wrong answers very quickly. CompTIA test will always have 2 answers that you will know is completely unrelated to the question.
    I am sorry to keep going on and on about OSI, but it can be tough.

Experts please weight in about the table in this link:

NG01d: The OSI Seven-Layer Network Model: WCC INP

For the Network+ exam, it seems many of these fly in the face of what my book says - especially almost all of the presentation layer.

I want to know what is right in the real world, but if I dont pass the exam that doesnt help me. I know OSI is theoretical, but there must be some standard as to which layer these things operate in.

Thanks
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    You are correct in that it is a theoretically model, and because of this some layers may be skipped in the 'real world' as something may act as a couple layers during the process which might be confusing at first, but everything will flow up and down the OSI when it works.

Keep your resources simple and try to work it out in a lab setting if you don't have access several different pieces at work.

The OSI Model's Seven Layers Defined and Functions Explained
    How to use the OSI Model to Troubleshoot Networks
    Networking Basics: Part 17 - The OSI Model
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?