Starting BSCI

giggig Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just passed my CCNA exam Friday and I'm starting on my CCNP track. I'm starting with BSCI. I have the Cisco press CCNP BSCI offical exam cert guide 4th edition and the BSCI lab portfolio books.

Are there any other materials that you guys recommend for this?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unless you already have lots of routing knowledge and experience, you may want to start off with the BSCI Self Study Guide first.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • keconnect sparkykeconnect sparky Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck with it and congratulations on passing your NA :D

I have been studying for the BSCI for a couple of months now - gotta admit its a toughy! alot harder than the NA materials, although u'd expect that (what i mean is with the NA you need to know of things etc, with the BSCI its not good enough knowing "of them" you need to know everything about it and anticipate why and how you are where you are with the scenario.) its very thorough - not putting you off or anything but just drawing my own experience .... was a shock to the system! (although depends on your experience etc etc)

Good luck and i wish you well :)
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I used the same materials to get through the BSCI.

However, I highly recommend the CBT Nuggest series presented by Jeremy Cioara.
  • CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Unless you already have lots of routing knowledge and experience, you may want to start off with the BSCI Self Study Guide first.

100% agree. The exam guide is what you read after you've already got the concepts down. I initially used the exam guide as a primary study source and quickly realized it wasn't nearly detailed enough to get me through the exam.

The Self-Study Guide or Doyle's Routing TCP/IP are your best options IMO.
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    gorebrush wrote: »

If you don't have a lot of experience then I recommend CBT as well for an intro material then read the study guide for more in depth, then to reinforce what you just read do the lab portfolio. Good Luck
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gig wrote: »
    I just passed my CCNA exam Friday and I'm starting on my CCNP track. I'm starting with BSCI. I have the Cisco press CCNP BSCI offical exam cert guide 4th edition and the BSCI lab portfolio books.

Are there any other materials that you guys recommend for this?

The two you've mentioned plus CBT Nuggets and the CCNP quick ref guides should be enough.

Also use GNS3 for labs if you don't have the actual kit or have GNS3 already.
  • Deltah_Deltah_ Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Train Signal form Chris Bryant is very helpful. He goes more deep than Jeremy for OSPF and BGP.
  • accelyaccely Member Posts: 101
    gorebrush wrote: »

Agreed. I used CBT for CCNA and CCNP now. Books I'm using are the Cisco Press BSCI Official Exam Cert 4th Edition, CCNP1 Advanced Routing lab book, and BSCI Lab portfolio.
    Progress: CCIE RS Lab scheduled for Jan. 2012
    Equipment: Cisco 360 program racks

• giggig Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go pick up the self study guide and look into getting cbt nuggets video. You guys think the portable command guide or the CCNP quick reference guides are useful?
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gig wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go pick up the self study guide and look into getting cbt nuggets video. You guys think the portable command guide or the CCNP quick reference guides are useful?

command ref guide could come in handy but I've not bothered with it. The quick reference guide gives the important commands and summarised important points.

I watch the CBT nuggets, then read the certification guide chapter then do the labs for each section from the lab portfolio.

I don't get time to study as such at work so that is where the quick ref guide comes in for me, if I have a 5 minutes spare or at lunch time or whatever I run my eyes over them. Also the quick ref guide is for the whole CCNP not just the bsci so I think it's worth picking up personally.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264