Cert questions

I currently enrolled in a cert school. I initially payed for (A+, N+,S+, CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE) I currently have A+, N+, and ill be taking CCNA next week. Ill be taking MCSA, MCP and S+ classes next month. My question is: i dont really want to take the MCSE, which would be the best cert to exg this one with? i can prob take 2 minor certs since MCSE is a 4 class cert. I can prob take like vista (i dont really want to) or like Server+, or Linux+ what u guys think?

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The MCSE is the gold standard for certs, I wouldn't trade it for the entire Comptia line up. But you MUST ditch it CCNP, CCNP or CCSP would be the next on my list. Maybe a Red Hat cert...
    -Daniel
  • SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
    ya but mcse is like 2003... and i guess when ever i have the 5 years experience that is needed most of the time to work as an mcse. it will be really outdated...
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Once you get the MCSE, you could always try to upgrade to the 2008 exams.

If it's something that really don't want to do, then go for Cisco. Honestly, There is more demand around my area for CCNA's then there are for MCSE's... Maybe it's the same for you.
    ya like i said im getting the CCNA already, just not sure if changing the MCSE to something else is worth it.. CCNP is not an option icon_sad.gif, i mean if the MCSE is the best i can get for my money ill try to get it :)
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    2000/2003 will still have very applicable market share in 5 years. Plus 90% of the material carries over to the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator (the 2008 version of the MCSE). So MCSE all the way.
    -Daniel
    so just finish the packet how it started: A+, N+,S+, CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    so just finish the packet how it started: A+, N+,S+, CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE

I would. Even if you do get your MCSE in 2003, it won't be worthless in 5 years. Even the NT4 MCSE's aren't worthless. Most employers know that a lot of the knowledge transfers to the newer OS's. With the experience to back it up (even with little 2003 experience and more 200icon_cool.gif, you will get more call backs than without the MCSE...
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So what ever happened to deciding on what you want to do and then tailoring your certs toward that career goal? MCSA/MCSE targets you more toward Microsoft server solutions where as CCNA/CCNP are the networking standard for just about anything even if the equipment isn't entirely Cisco. If you like working with servers, I'm sure that MCSA/MCSE will pull more weight. If you like working with networks, then the more obvious decision would be going CCNP.

Why not wait until after taking the CCNA class to decide whether you want to go the Microsoft route or the Cisco route? You stated that you had already taken some Microsoft certs, yet have not taken CCNA yet. Wait a bit, study the material, and get your feet wet with some hands-on via some Cisco routers and switches. You'll probably have a better idea of where you stand and what direction you'll want to go after that.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would continue on the path to MCSA. If you have the MCSA with a CCNA, that will make you pretty well-rounded on your resume. You can always take more certs later, especially if your employer would pay for part or all.