Options

Sharing E-Books?

Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I purchased the MCSE Self Paced Training Kit 290 book awhile back, now its sitting on my desk collecting dust. I don't want to sell it as I keep it as a reference. A friend of mine recently asked if he could borrow the 290 book when he was down for a visit. I really didn't want to lend it out, as he lives 4hrs away. So I politely declined, however I got thinking. Doesn't each book come with the cd that has the E-Book? I'm at work and can't check. If that is the case would I be violating any laws by sending him the E book instead?

I don’t think this would/should be an issue but I would like to double check beforehand.
WIP: 70-647 (5%)

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Piracy and copyright laws might say different, but what kind of world do we live in if you can't lend a friend a book??? (e-book or otherwise)

Just be clear to him that you don't want him to distribute it to anyone else.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Piracy and copyright laws might say different, but what kind of world do we live in if you can't lend a friend a book??? (e-book or otherwise)
    It is a little different when it is an eBook because many people can be reading the eBook at the same time. If you lend somebody a physical book then only one person is reading it at a time.

Whether you can distribute the eBook depends on the publisher and the terms for that specific eBook. It is likely that they don't want you to distribute it though.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Well, I guess it depends on the publisher... I just read through the license agreement from one of My Sybex books, and it basically states that you may only transfer the software and documentation on a permanent basis, as long as the transferee agrees to the license agreement.

I imagine, with the wording of the entire agreement, that it is plausible, to allow someone to have the ebook, as long as you don't have a copy somewhere, and have them "transfer" it back to you when they are done, providing that they don't keep a copy.

I would say, that you might be pushing your luck that way, but I don't see that situation really be addressed in the agreement that I was reading.