Options

Exchange Exams and 2010 Beta

ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
Is the release of 2010 Beta changing your plans for exams?

I passed the 5.5 exam back in the day and had wanted to take the exam for every release. I didn't pass the 2000 beta and never got around to taking the live exam. Put off 2003, and then 2007 came out. Now that 2010 is in Beta and it looks like my clients are going to skip 2007, I may go back and take 2003 and then take 2010 when it is ready. This way I will be certified on every other release.
Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    For some of us there is a difference between what we want to learn and what our employer wants (or requires) us to learn. Microsoft partners have requirements they must meet for partnership levels and some of those points come from competencies.

For example, the Unified Communications Messaging Specialization:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/40029579

To qualify, your organization must employ or contract with two Microsoft Certified Professionals (MCPs) who have achieved one of these advanced certifications: MCSE: Messaging on Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements or Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Enterprise Messaging Administrator.

In addition, if using the MCSE qualification, the MCP must pass at least two of the following Microsoft exams:
    • Exam 70-236—TS: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
    • Exam 70-237—PRO: Designing Messaging Solutions with Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
    • Exam 70-238—PRO: Deploying Messaging Solutions with Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

To help my company achieve the competency, I have to pass 236 and 237 since I already have an MCSE:M (although why anyone would stop there and not take 238 is beyond me). Since 2010 won't be out until the end of the year and the exams probably won't be out until a few months later, I'm going to complete the 2007 track - in fact, I'm taking 237 next week. Besides, 2007 technology is probably 80% of the 2010 product so the studying won't go to waste. Studying and certifying on 2003 helped me transition to 2007, so I expect the 2003 and 2007 studies to help me transition to 2010 as well.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been down that path before. That is how I ended up with the CCEA.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    I will probably at least end up taking the betas for these exams. I only have 238 left in the 2007 track, so I really hope there is an upgrade. That would be sweet. If there is an upgrade, I will definitely take it.

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was considering going back for my "M", but now I'm trying to decide if that would be the best use of my time. I'll hopefully have my MCITP in a week or two, and I'm sort of leaning towards just focusing on current and future versions. I can still get better acquainted with 2003 without taking the exams. I'm not sure how much the additional time and money would benefit me at this point.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Nice thing is with MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator, I just need to take my MCTS exam for E2K10 before mainstream supports ends for E2K7, and I'm done.
    Good luck to all!