need help on what cert to start with

gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys...me and my roommate were talking and we are both in similar positions. we both have hands on experience with computers (upgrading, repairing, removal of virus/spyware, etc) but no formal training, we both taught ourselves what we know. We are looking to get into the IT field and i was telling him how certs can help us get our foot in the door. Thing is i dont know where to start. I was thinking of getting my A+ first then get a Microsoft (but im not sure what to go for MCP, MSCA, MSCE?) I talked to a professor and he says that i should skip A+ and go str8 to microsoft since i would learn similar info and the microsoft cert would be a higher cert and hopefully lead to a better job/pay? What do you guys think? I was thinking of going A+ first but if can get a microsoft cert that will help me out more than i will do that. I just dont want to spend money/time that i dont have to or need. Any help you guys offer i greatly appreciated. Not sure if it matters but I just graduated with my BS in MIS and my roommate will have his BS in Management. Thanks

Comments

• djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    MCDST would be the perfect starting point if skipping A+. And then either Net+ or CCENT/CCNA for a little foray into networking. Or both.

with MCDST , you basically have to know Win XP and Office. But the 2 exams you take for it (70-271, 70-272) are easier than the main Win XP client exam (70-270). So they'd be a great starting point and could lead to a position like Help Desk or Desktop Support.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/
  • gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the quick reply...so would u suggest skipping the a+ all together? Also i look on their site and its says that for the A+ u need to pass 2 exams and a voucher for the test is $168. Does that mean that its a total cost of $336 or does that voucher cover both tests. Thanks again
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not a big fan of CompTIA certs, but the A+ is a good place to start. If you are going to be just starting out in IT you probably don't know what area you want to specialize in. So my advice would be get the A+, get a help desk/desktop support gig and get some exposure to all the facets of IT. Once you figure out what you want to do with your career then you can choose a cert path that fits that goal.

Good luck to you and your roomate!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    thanks for the quick reply...so would u suggest skipping the a+ all together? Also i look on their site and its says that for the A+ u need to pass 2 exams and a voucher for the test is $168. Does that mean that its a total cost of $336 or does that voucher cover both tests. Thanks again
    That's $168 per exam, so double that. Yeah, getting the A+ would be more expensive than an MCDST($250, $125 per MS exam). But A+ is probably more known than the MCDST. Just my 2 cents. I'm no industry expert, so take it with a grain.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would hit the A+ essentials followed by the A+ IT Technician. MCDST assumes you have some background in hardware. A+ goes into all the hardware used in a computer that will probably run Windows. The A+ is pretty detailed in explaining Windows install, configure, etc.
    You will probably find the MCDST easy after completing the A+.
  • gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I am thinking of going the A+ route. I will definitely let me roommate know what everyone says. For me my idea path is either network or systems admin. From there i want to do some project management (looking to get my CAPM) and eventually do consulting (where i will have my own company or work with a small group with similar interests) I know i will probably have to start low and work my way up which is fine i just want to be able to get my foot in the door somewhere. Hopefully the combo of my bachelor's, certs (getting my CCNA by the end of summer) and personality will do that. Thanks again all.