Advice/Help IT Security

rfowlerrfowler Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hiya All,

I am new to this forum but require some help/advice.

I want to get into IT Security what sould be the best route? I already have a degree in Computer Science and at the moment working in a IT Support role for about 3 years now.

All comments welcome :D

Comments

• rs21rs21 Banned Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey dere, its good u have think of IT certification for your career growth. For IT security i suggest u should go for Cisco Certifications and CompTIA+ certifications. They are the well known certification in IT industry related to IT security. Tell me your exact work profile? According to that i can tell you more about security certification dat suits u.
  • rfowlerrfowler Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I have been adviced that IT Security is going to big and there are many jobs in that field but require the Certs..
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    rs21 wrote: »
    hey dere, its good u have think of IT certification for your career growth. For IT security i suggest u should go for Cisco Certifications. They are the leaders in IT security certifications. Tell me your exact work profile? according to that i can tell you more about security certification dat suits u.

Cisco is the leader in IT security certifications? Since when? icon_neutral.gif
    that was wrongly typed, that's y i have removed that. u can c that now. There are jobs in IT Security, u require cert for that, so for cert form CompTIA+. search for certification over Cisco n CompTIA+ websites.
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Like rs21 said, CompTIA Security+ would be a good start.
    So who are the Market Leader then?

I was thinking of doing the CompTIA Security+... I can I do this straight away or do I have to take another cert before doing this one?
    Although not a prerequisite, it is recommended that CompTIA Security+ candidates have at least two years of on-the-job technical networking experience, with an emphasis on security. wat u say carboncopy? which cert for security?
    So its CompTIA Security+ then, what is the best way to go about it.

What is the best book to get? Where can I get video tutorials from?

Any other advice would be nice from someone who has already done it
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    If you are a complete beginner then Security + is a good start. I would then look into CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker). It really depends on what branch of security you are wanting to go into. Network Security then Cisco security cert would be good. Then you have application security, pen testing.
    They don't do CompTIA Security+
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would start with the Security+ certification. that will give you a good foundation. I used they Sybex book for mine, its pretty good. I would check out the security certs part of this website..chances are all your questions are in a thread.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    rfowler wrote: »
    So its CompTIA Security+ then, what is the best way to go about it.

What is the best book to get? Where can I get video tutorials from?

Any other advice would be nice from someone who has already done it
    All is revealed in our SECURITY+ - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums