CCNA Expiring in August 2009

homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
So it seems that my CCNA certification will be expiring in 2009. I haven't done much hands on cisco work outside of my own lab for when I was studying for the exam. My question now is, should I simply re-certify? or go for the CCNP! I've always wanted to pursue it, but I don't know if it's advisable considering I don't have much hands on experience outside of a lab environment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Tough choice! I guess it depends on how confident you will be about studying for and passing one of the CCNP exams. I think you could also take a CCNA specialization exam... Right now Cisco has their 2nd chance promotion going on for the specialization exams.

Maybe someone else can confirm that passing either the CCNA Voice, Wireless or Security would renew your cert.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I second the specialization route. It looks like you already have the Security+ so maybe go for the CCNA Security. The specialization will probably be easier to grasp then the CCNP exams since you don't have much hands on background.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I agree go for the specialization exams

I am in the same situation, my CCNA expires in August. I have just started work on renewing mine with the CCNA:Security which should complement my MCSE:Security quite nicely :)

I also do not get much hands on any more, but log into kit at work instead of bothering the network engineers if I need to check something. I am going through the ICND2 material first as a recap and then I will start on the CCNA:Security materials, I am quite shocked at how much I remember from almost 3 years ago :)

Good luck with whatever you choose
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    That sounds like a great idea! I never even thought of that. Thank you guys so much.

Can you recommend any study material for the CCNA: Security route?
  • netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    I used CBT Nuggets, Cisco Press, and Train Signal.
    I also used dynamips for the hands on experience.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I'm going to dissent from the group here for a bit. I'm not sold on the idea of the specialization exams yet. If I were in your position (and I was last year), I'd be studying like mad for a CCNP exam. Pass one and it recertifies your CCNA for three years and brings you another step closer to CCNP, if that's what you decide you want to do.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCNP + no experience = fail
    Plus, I realy have doubts the average person can self teach the CCNP that quick.

Id recommend just going ahead and doing CCNA: Security/Wireless/Voice or CCDA all which will renew your CCNA.
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    CCNP + no experience = fail

Right, because a CCNA (even a specialized one!) with no experience is somehow less fail.

Seriously, if I have to choose people to call, and the candidate pool is so shallow that I'm seriously looking at guys with no experience, and I have a choice to call a CCNA or a CCNP, I'm calling the CCNP first.

Come on man, the lack of experience counts against you no matter what letters you have in your alphabet soup.
    Plus, I realy have doubts the average person can self teach the CCNP that quick.

I didn't say pass the CCNP real quick, I said pass a CCNP exam. Since each professional level exam recertifies all associate level certs, he can take it one exam at a time. From what I've seen from looking over the CCNA specializations, they're covering a good portion of the related CCNP exam, so the material isn't necessarily harder.

Now, if he wants to go down one of the roads that the specializations will be a pre-req for soon, that's a different ballgame. If he wants to do CCVP, then it's a no brainer to take the CCNA Voice exam. Likewise with CCNA Security. But from the initial post, it sounds like all he wants to do is renew his CCNA. If he wants to stay on the Routing and Switching path, he'll be better served by going for a CCNP exam than by diverting to one of the CCNA specializations.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you had NA-level work, why would you call an NP first? Wouldn't you be afraid he or she would leave to an NP-level position after accumulating a little experience?

I think associate-level certifications with no experience are far preferable to professional-level certifications with no experience. Mostly for the reason I just listed. If you genuinely have professional-level knowledge, you're not going to stick around in an associate-level position very long. The work and the pay wouldn't be up to your level. I would assume that most of the people who do the hiring are aware of this.

Also, from what I've heard, the specialization exams are significantly easier than the professional-level exams, so I wouldn't lump them together in terms of time and difficulty.

However, I'm not saying he shouldn't pursue the NP track either. He has three years to complete the track, and he could certainly gain comparable work experience in that amount of time. I don't see a good reason not to work towards it at a leisurely pace. If his NA doesn't expire until later in the year, he should have ample time to complete a pro-level exam. As you said, he only has to do one, not the entire track, in order to renew his NA.
    dynamik wrote: »
    If you had NA-level work, why would you call an NP first? Wouldn't you be afraid he or she would leave to an NP-level position after accumulating a little experience?

I think associate-level certifications with no experience are far preferable to professional-level certifications with no experience. Mostly for the reason I just listed. If you genuinely have professional-level knowledge, you're not going to stick around in an associate-level position very long. The work and the pay wouldn't be up to your level. I would assume that most of the people who do the hiring are aware of this.

I've seen more than a few job listings where the description is asking for a CCNA or CCNP, so it's not too far fetched to receive resumes from both.

And honestly, I'd make the same assumptions about a CCNA for a permanent position. I'd assume they were going to continue their studies, and either ask for more money or to move up within the company, or go looking for another job after using their current one as a stepping stone. For a contract job, no, I wouldn't worry about it.
    However, I'm not saying he shouldn't pursue the NP track either. He has three years to complete the track, and he could certainly gain comparable work experience in that amount of time. I don't see a good reason not to work towards it at a leisurely pace. If his NA doesn't expire until later in the year, he should have ample time to complete a pro-level exam. As you said, he only has to do one, not the entire track, in order to renew his NA.

That's all I'm saying, it all depends on what the OP wants to do. If Security is his thing, the CCNA Security makes sense. If he wants to go into Voice or Wireless, those exams also make sense. But the initial post was concerned with his CCNA expiring, and he very clearly states he does want to pursue the CCNP, but is worried about the lack of experience. Now given that, I'd say (and I did!) that the clear course of action is to just go ahead and start the NP. Lack of experience is something everyone will have to address no matter what, so I consider it an invalid excuse to not do something.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    homerj742 wrote: »
    I haven't done much hands on cisco work outside of my own lab for when I was studying for the exam. My question now is, should I simply re-certify? or go for the CCNP!
    If you haven't been doing much hands on work with Cisco Equipment in the last few years, and don't have any current prospect that will change that any time soon, then starting on the CCNP to recertify your CCNA is probably not the best idea.

I'd say go for the CCNA:Security. That way you make some progress forward and get another Certification out of the deal without having to commit to a 4 exam commitment over the next 3 years -- and it will recertify your CCNA.

ICND2 to recertify would refresh a lot of your old CCNA knowledge, but that just keeps what you have (a CCNA) -- and is probably your 2nd best option.

If your prospects for doing Cisco work in the future change, then you can start on the CCNP path, and start the 3 year clock ticking to complete all the exams -- and refresh your old CCNA knowledge and skills along the way.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNA: Security is a prerequisite for CCSP since Cisco retired the SND last year. I don't see why he wouldn't want to start down the CCSP track since its more directly related to what he already has in his alphabet soup.

Supporting Microsoft server technologies and anything security related, I would say that CCNA: Security and CCSP would benefit him more in his career goals than CCNP, even though CCNP is considered foundational. I don't think he will be relying on networking expertise as much as he would when dealing with security matters.
  • homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    Everyone makes some very valid points. I'm still at a cross roads as to whether I should begin with the CCNP, or CCNA Security. I'm not sure how I feel about those specialized exams.

But then again, I don't want to set myself up for failure by persuing CCNP when I need hands on experience. I'm sure you all understand the dilemma. I will have to think about it! I have a few more months, and in the mean time I will be working to pass a SQL exam for my current job.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    whatever tickles your fancy is the route I would go. What do you love more security or routing and switching.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    homerj742 wrote: »
    That sounds like a great idea! I never even thought of that. Thank you guys so much.

Yea, you get to renew your cert and pick up another in the process.:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.