Is the CCIE:Security worth it?

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey all I was considering whether or not I should pursue the CCIE:Security. I have a very strong interest in security, a couple of certs under my belt, and I know that as I get older I want to go into the pen testing area. Would the CCIE:Security be worth my time? I know that the CCIE requires alot of experience/hours put in to obtain.

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i am going to hazard a guess and say yes :D Like all ccie's it will take a lot of effort but you will reap the rewards
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • metsmanmetsman Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I were you, after you finish your ICND2/CCNA, I would go first for CCNA Security which requires one more test. If you really enjoy that and thrive in it then you can consider loftier Cisco pursuits, such as CCNP/DP, and then I would think about CCIE Security.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    metsman wrote: »
    If I were you, after you finish your ICND2/CCNA, I would go first for CCNA Security which requires one more test. If you really enjoy that and thrive in it then you can consider loftier Cisco pursuits, such as CCNP/DP, and then I would think about CCIE Security.
    This is probably the best advice you could follow. Get your feet wet with the CCNA Security and see if you want to go in for the long haul (2 - 3 years) that's required for the CCIE Security. You may also want to look into the Security+ certification, as it's a recognized cert within the security world and it will also give you an intro to just about everything you could expand on and specialize in.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Actually that is my plan....I'm sitting for the ICND2 within the next week and the CCNA:Security after that. I have looked over the Security book and an overview of the material and it is all topics that I'm definitely interested in.

Security+ is next on the list....got sidetracked because the boss asked my to drop everything for my CCNA:Security at the moment.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Actually that is my plan....I'm sitting for the ICND2 within the next week and the CCNA:Security after that. I have looked over the Security book and an overview of the material and it is all topics that I'm definitely interested in.

Security+ is next on the list....got sidetracked because the boss asked my to drop everything for my CCNA:Security at the moment.
    Sounds like you've already got yourself on the right track. (Now you'll have to decide if you want to continue straight to the CCSP, or if you want to reinforce your knowledge with the CCNP as well.) Good luck, let us know how your security studies go. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    I'm pretty sure that I'm going to run right through to the CCSP. I was looking over the objectives and thing son Cisco's website and they look like alot of things I've done with other products (non cisco) before. Thing is I work with IDS/IPS, firewalls, etc... alot so I have a firm understanding of alot of the material right off the bat...just matter of learning to do things "the cisco way" icon_wink.gif

I'll def keep you posted on the studies though...
  • javastevejavasteve Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey all I was considering whether or not I should pursue the CCIE:Security. I have a very strong interest in security, a couple of certs under my belt, and I know that as I get older I want to go into the pen testing area. Would the CCIE:Security be worth my time? I know that the CCIE requires alot of experience/hours put in to obtain.

Here is the truth about CCIE security. It is just as difficult to get as R & S, but it does not pay as well. If you pass the R&S CCIE, you are almost guaranteed a job paying 100 K +, but with CCIE security things are very different. You may be able to get a job around 90-100K, but is a big maybe.

I am doing the CCIE security because I can't imaging working on routers and switches all day long. It would be very boring. Just know that your will spend around 2 years to get the CCIE Security, and there is no guarantee of a pay-off.

Since my day-to-day job involved security products, I decided to pursue CCIE security, but, looking back, I sometimes wish I had gone for R&S. I should pass the CCIE security in the next few months, but even after I do, I do not have a job guarantee.
    Good information. Money I'm not so much worried about....with hard work money will follow. I'm more concerned with having something that will help me further my career and allow me to have a better understanding of different technologies. It seems that the CCIE:Security is well worth the effort to put in then time.