Options

Need help with running automated .msi install

kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have tortoiseSVN that I need installed on 100 or so computers. The DC is linux based and so I cant push out via server03. Is there a way that is "free" to be able to do this? I suck at making scripts so if your answer is make a script if you could point me in the right direction on how to create the script that would be great. I need it to do a runas because the installer has to have admin rights to install. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Create a batch file with the following command and distribute it as best you can with a linux domain.

msiexec /i [URL="file://\\server\share\tortoisesvn.msi"]\\server\share\tortoisesvn.msi[/URL]

Command-Line Options (Windows)

The windows installer service can elevate permissions to install software, but you generally configure that through group policy. Test out the script to be sure, but you might need to write a 'Run As' wrapper around the msiexec command.

"Run As" batch file to install software as domain admin [Archive] - Petri.co.il forums by Daniel Petri

Otherwise you might have to do this the old-fashioned sneaker-net way. But while you are wasting all that time, think of the money you saved by not buying a real DC! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    if it where up to me we would have bought a real DC over a year ago. Company is to cheap and the owners like to line their pockets so not much I can do.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    if it where up to me we would have bought a real DC over a year ago. Company is to cheap and the owners like to line their pockets so not much I can do.

I think we used to work for the same company. Had a director once consider buying retail upgrade versions of Office rather than re-licensing with an enterprise or select agreement. Never mind that we wouldn't be able to create an administratitive install point to deploy office to 500 users, rather we would have to walk to each workstation and install it manually. That didn't matter because we were salaried and they were paying us to be there anyway. Amazing how the people making the decisions rarely have to deal with the consequences.

File this one away in the 'Why we should convert' file. With AD and Group Policy, you could have this app deployed, configured and secured this afternoon. How much effort will be required and productivity lost while your team walks around with CDs and the users wait for the software they need?
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's why government jobs are nicer in some aspects. Have all this taxpayer money to buy said DCs and such. :^)
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA