Bcmsn 23/04/09

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well took this fella this morning. Glad to report i passed with a 889. The exam was pretty tough going imo and not to be taken lightly. To be fair, i feel i got hammered in all area's. Dont underestimate voip,wireless or switch security, on top of the rest of course!

Resources used:

cbt nuggets
exam guide/self study guides
cisco docs - invaluable. even the smallest of things have played a part in this exam.
Hand on w/ real hardware.
bryant bcmsn materials - these are actually pretty good and offer good coverage of voip, wireless and security where i feel the cisco press books were lacking in this area when compared to the exam.

One thing i was p*ssd with was the fact the instructions in a particular sim clearly did not work. so i just went with my gut instincts from my work experiance and lab time. I asked the lady and she claimed no issue and a reboot. however i had a few questions left after so i though i'd plod on. Have to say, this is the first time it happened to me - and it was at a new testing centre for me too. I did leave a comment re this but im not too bothered as i passed. Obviously that would be different if i didnt!

Well whats next, nothing for the next 4-6 weeks. Im in my final year of uni have a stack load of coursework/exams to deal with and these are my current priority.

Once im finished i am unsure which exam to go for next. At the moment im thinking of going for either the ont,iscw or ccda and leaving the bsci last - mainly so the material will be fresh when i lead on to the next certs. What do you's think? any opinions. i dont finish uni until dec 2009 (latest) so the certs come secondary...for now :)
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey buddy, had no idea you were taking this one today!

Huge congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif I'll buy you a beer sometime :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Woo-hoo! Good job on the pass!

I wish things would slow down at work so I could knock this one out. icon_sad.gif

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bertieb wrote: »
    Hey buddy, had no idea you were taking this one today!

Huge congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif I'll buy you a beer sometime :D

Sounds like a boozup in manchester to me ;)

Thanks guys,

• NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey congrats on the pass!

:)
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nel, congrats on the pass mate :)

On what to do next, how much routing have you done at work?

I'd say just get the bsci out the way personally, but if you have a background in QoS (theory) then do the ONT. Alternatively the CCDA is more about products and where to use them along with best practice design principles.

Check out the CCDA forum, I've put a few posts up there about what to expect from the DA.

Keep it up.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nel wrote: »
    i passed
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    malcybood wrote: »
    nel, congrats on the pass mate :)

On what to do next, how much routing have you done at work?

I'd say just get the bsci out the way personally, but if you have a background in QoS (theory) then do the ONT. Alternatively the CCDA is more about products and where to use them along with best practice design principles.

Check out the CCDA forum, I've put a few posts up there about what to expect from the DA.

Keep it up.

One of the reasons im tempted to leave bsci for now is because of the amount of work which is involved with it and fear it may be a bit too much with uni too. Also, i have the general basics for some of it under my belt but i dont work at the level of bsci at work with routing.

Hmmm, decisions.

• Fish!Fish! Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nel, I am in the same boat you are. I destroyed the BCMSN exam last week and was unsure about trying BSCI next. I will quote what Mrock4 posted in my thread:

Mrock4 wrote: »
    Good choice on pursuing the BSCI if you go that route. I think the key to becoming a better tech (regardless of specialty) is to target your weaknesses, and attack them. It seems rough at first, but once you get into it, you'll realize there was nothing to be afraid of. Plus, in the future you'll have more confidence heading into unknown technologies. Best of luck.

Mrock4 did me a huge favor with that comment. I have been studying BSCI for a week now and am glad I started into it. It reaffirms my ability to learn when I stare these topics in the face and gain confidence with them quickly. There is a plethora of quality learning material available for the BSCI. Grab some and go! You will be glad you did. icon_thumright.gif

In any case, you have to do it at some point. icon_twisted.gif
    Fish! wrote: »
    nel, I am in the same boat you are. I destroyed the BCMSN exam last week and was unsure about trying BSCI next. I will quote what Mrock4 posted in my thread:

Mrock4 did me a huge favor with that comment. I have been studying BSCI for a week now and am glad I started into it. It reaffirms my ability to learn when I stare these topics in the face and gain confidence with them quickly. There is a plethora of quality learning material available for the BSCI. Grab some and go! You will be glad you did. icon_thumright.gif

Good point indeed. Although routing isnt my strongest point, im actually looking forward to studying it! :D i was simply thinking because of the worload between the bsci and my uni stuff. I do have the BSCI study guide already at home, so i may be tempted to pick it up. ;)

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats buddy!
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fish! wrote: »

I agree with Mrock4 - embrace it, don't fear it! icon_thumright.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Embrace it i shall :D

• mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the BCMSN nel! I'm sure you'll do fine whatever route you take. As long as you are learning and becoming a better networking professional, you can't go wrong IMO.

Glad to hear the BSCI studies are going well Fish!
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Congrats on the BCMSN nel! I'm sure you'll do fine whatever route you take. As long as you are learning and becoming a better networking professional, you can't go wrong IMO.

Glad to hear the BSCI studies are going well Fish!

Thanks everyone, ive decided to go for the bsci once i finish my current uni semester and will be starting in june after a week or so off studying! wish me luck :D