Options

CCNA voice or ccnp or ccvp?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys,
Please forgive me but I am not trying to belittle voip engineers but
How much voip do I need to manage a voip system say of 200 IP phones
and assorted POE switches and voip routers etc.. I mean an not be certifed. How much and what areas. I mean do I need to have 5 exams in CCVP to even manage QoS and voip equipment. My work we have all mitel equipment and I manage and use the web UI and GUI manangement software no program but I do not mess with the Mitel voice controllers t hey are vendored out. but we do have switches and routers that the voice packets ride on and I know Qos is set up on the switches and routers from what I know but I heard you just set the switches on cisco and routers to automatic and have Qos run and there isnt much (not that it isnt technical)but not much to learn and maintain. it is either runninng or not. I am a CCNA and feel good about what I know about routers and switches and firewalls. but I am oblivous of what goes on in voice. But would like to manage it some day and wondered if I need to be a 100 ccvp or will ccna voice be enough to help me manage Qos on switches and routers. I know some CCNPs who can run the Qos because in there studies they have had Qos in their least exams. I am rambling.

So should I get ccna voice or just finish my ccnp and then I can have a better start managing voip? what exams can help me manage voip routers and switches and controllers besides a full CCVP is there any 2 exams or will CCNA voice give me a start?

Thanks for helping me.icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    itdaddy wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Please forgive me but I am not trying to belittle voip engineers but
    How much voip do I need to manage a voip system say of 200 IP phones
    and assorted POE switches and voip routers etc.. I mean an not be certifed. How much and what areas. I mean do I need to have 5 exams in CCVP to even manage QoS and voip equipment. My work we have all mitel equipment and I manage and use the web UI and GUI manangement software no program but I do not mess with the Mitel voice controllers t hey are vendored out. but we do have switches and routers that the voice packets ride on and I know Qos is set up on the switches and routers from what I know but I heard you just set the switches on cisco and routers to automatic and have Qos run and there isnt much (not that it isnt technical)but not much to learn and maintain. it is either runninng or not. I am a CCNA and feel good about what I know about routers and switches and firewalls. but I am oblivous of what goes on in voice. But would like to manage it some day and wondered if I need to be a 100 ccvp or will ccna voice be enough to help me manage Qos on switches and routers. I know some CCNPs who can run the Qos because in there studies they have had Qos in their least exams. I am rambling.

So should I get ccna voice or just finish my ccnp and then I can have a better start managing voip? what exams can help me manage voip routers and switches and controllers besides a full CCVP is there any 2 exams or will CCNA voice give me a start?

Thanks for helping me.icon_thumright.gif

You don't need any of those "certs" to manage any VOIP environment. They will help out in learning the job duties but you dont need to test. CCNA voice rubs on most of the concepts you need to do your day to day job. managing 200 phones isn't hard. Just learn your way around call manger and learn about MAC's. From there get into dial peers and gateway stuff, then touch on some QOS stuff. Cisco's website is a great resource for voice and most of the information there is free. Hell in my CIPT exam a few of the questions were word for word out of the "FREE" call manger system administrator guide on the site.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How much voip do I need to manage a voip system say of 200 IP phones and assorted POE switches and voip routers etc.
    None.

You just need a support contract with the vendor who designed, configured, and installed it -- and their support phone number configured as a speed dial on your Cell Phone, in case your phones/network goes down. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    mikej412 wrote: »
    None.

You just need a support contract with the vendor who designed, configured, and installed it -- and their support phone number configured as a speed dial on your Cell Phone, in case your phones/network goes down. :D

icon_sad.gif

This is why my jobs sucks at times. we have companies hiring less prepared staff then using us as a crutch so support there network. This is all fine and dandy if you pay for it. But when you pay for Level 2 support but call us to change the numbers on phones or can't do basic troubleshooting it gets on my nerves.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    empc4000xl wrote: »
    But when you pay for Level 2 support but call us to change the numbers on phones....
    Deploy a Sales Critter!! Sounds like an opportunity to sell some training -- or a chance to move them to a fully managed solution! :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    So should I get ccna voice or just finish my ccnp and then I can have a better start managing voip? what exams can help me manage voip routers and switches and controllers besides a full CCVP is there any 2 exams or will CCNA voice give me a start
    If you really want CCVP then you're either going to have to pass it before 23rd June 2009 or do CCNA: Voice first and then CCVP. Cisco are changing the prerequisite for CCVP from CCNA to CCNA: Voice on that date.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Pick up some books – the certification doesn’t “prove” anything. You can pick and choose chapters from CVOICE, and QoS (you’re already part of the way there if you have taken ONT). CCNA-Voice would be a logical start.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten

wow thanks for your help and mike for your humor as always!
    you know mike how much i hate vendor techs coming in and doingmy work. Thanks for you guys help. Great. I think I will go for ccna voice
    and then learn the topics you mentioned great! I can do this. and maybe later go for higher certs. super! thanks for you help!

I have something in the oven and it isnt a baby! haha ;) he heeicon_cheers.gif