Does Security+ count?

I've seen both yes and no to this, but it still seems dubious as to whether it will count toward an MCSE. I have my CompTia Security+ cert, and it would be real nice if it applied to the MCSE in any way. It would take little time to get my A+ and Network+ certs, too, but I don't know if these count toward the MCSE or not. If someone could enlighten me, please.

Comments

• Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If i remember correctly the S+ does count. And Im not 100% sure, but I think the A+ and N+ count towards MCSA. They cant be used together, its either S+ is your credit towards MCSE and/or MCSA OR A+ and N+ (assuming you can use them both towards MCSE).
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Right from the source (mcp.microsoft.com):

Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)
    To receive an elective credit toward the MCSA certification, candidates must earn the CompTIA A+ credential and either the CompTIA Network+ credential or the CompTIA Server+ credential. Alternatively, candidates can earn the CompTIA Security+ credential.
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
    To receive an elective credit toward the MCSE certification, candidates can earn the CompTIA Security+ credential.
    MCSA: Security
    To receive a specialization credit toward the MCSA: Security certification, candidates can earn the CompTIA Security+ credential.
    MCSE: Security
    To receive a specialization credit toward the MCSE: Security certification, candidates can earn the CompTIA Security+ credential.

Basically the Security+ trumps all other Comtia certs.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Just to add my experience.... I used my Security+ as an elective for the MCSE.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    I've seen both yes and no to this, but it still seems dubious as to whether it will count toward an MCSE. I have my CompTia Security+ cert, and it would be real nice if it applied to the MCSE in any way. It would take little time to get my A+ and Network+ certs, too, but I don't know if these count toward the MCSE or not. If someone could enlighten me, please.

A+ and Net+ do NOT count for MCSE. They do count for MCSA.

Sec+ counts for both. I also used it to gain my MCSE.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I'm guess I'm in an ideal spot start working up to MCSE also
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • #snoop#snoop Banned Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A+ and Net+ do NOT count for MCSE. They do count for MCSA.

Sec+ counts for both. I also used it to gain my MCSE.

But one can't combine Network+ & Security+ ... for MCSA right?
    It is mandatory to have A+ & Network+ OR Security+....?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Not to slam anyone but this must be one of the most common questions on the forum. The Microsoft site is very clear on this information. Maybe we should change the name of the forum to the "MCSA (Security+ or Net+ and A+) / MCSE (Security+ only)" forum.

The only problem I see is that this forum would lose a large majority of its activity.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, the MCSA/E will eventually fade into obscurity, and then we won't have to worry about it anymore :D