Options

Cert Path

mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
Well I think it's time I dive into another certificate this year. However, I'm not sure which direction I should take. I was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction.

I currently hold the following certificates. Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, and my CCNA.

Well unfortunately I have not got enough hands on experience with Cisco devices to pursue the CCNP.

Currently at my job I am mainly a computer support technician with many server duties. However, the server and support duties are all focus on windows machines. I am at heart a *nix guy.

So I guess the real question what certificate would be the best bang for my buck? Should I dive into the Comptia Security+, or Comptia Server+, or something different?

Let me know what you guys think I should choose next.

Comments

• Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    id say go for your security+ but thats just me
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mike3 wrote: »
    Currently at my job I am mainly a computer support technician with many server duties. However, the server and support duties are all focus on windows machines. I am at heart a *nix guy.
    It sounds like some MS certs -- maybe through the MCSA level -- would be a better fit with your current experience. But you could also "broaden your base" for your "next job" by adding the Linux+ Certification. Security is always important, so starting with the Security+ Certification as you rack up experience at your current job is also a good idea.

I don't see any harm in getting the Server+ Certification also -- if you don't mind spending the money (or investing in your future -- depending on how you look at it).

I'd say in general try to get the certification for the job you're doing, and if you like it, start work on the next higher certification from that vendor. But also add in some of the entry level or low lever certification(s) in other areas you may be interested in working with to maximize your options for your next job hunt.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would do the Security+ next. Then I would start on the MCSA. The 270 would help out in the Help Desk role.