Very dumb question

examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
Ok.. first let me explain -- Yes, I have done labs and no I've never had to use these commands. I am taking the BCMSN exam tomorrow and I've tried to research this briefly -- but, could someone please answer:

ip routing vs. no switchport (commands)

Do they do the same thing?

Thanks and sorry..
es

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "ip routing" enables the switch to route packets. You might use this to route between vlans (through SVIs) or along with "no switchport" to create a routed interface.

"no switchport" changes the interface to be a L3 interface, ie. it's now like an interface on a router or pc, it can have an IP address assigned etc. The port won't route packets unless you enable "ip routing".
  • examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
    Thank you! Wish me luck!

Shawn / es
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Good Luck but they dont use those commands in BCMSN lab portfolio? Those commands are essential for layer 3 switches.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    kryolla wrote: »
    Good Luck but they dont use those commands in BCMSN lab portfolio? Those commands are essential for layer 3 switches.

Thats what I was thinking. You may want to get some hardcore review before the exam. These are the fundamentals.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats what I was thinking. You may want to get some hardcore review before the exam. These are the fundamentals.

Ditto on that!:)

Good luck on the exam, let us know how it worked out.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

how did you do on the exam :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    Well, I failed. I knew I was in bad shape when I had trouble with some of the labs. I couldn't remember some of the specifics and found myself using the ? to fill in commands. I was really surprised that most of the questions really required experience -- like what would happen if this failed? I'm new to networking, and this exam kicked my butt. I will try again.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Take advantage of the free retake with comback2009. Just make sure you really get the fundementals before taking it again. Not knowing the answer to this question is a bad sign the day of the exam, those commands are like the base of L3 switching.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    examseeker wrote: »
    Well, I failed. I knew I was in bad shape when I had trouble with some of the labs. I couldn't remember some of the specifics and found myself using the ? to fill in commands. I was really surprised that most of the questions really required experience -- like what would happen if this failed? I'm new to networking, and this exam kicked my butt. I will try again.

Was this your first Cisco Professional level exam?
    Although the the NA was tough exam, but comparison, the NP level is a whole new ball game.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    Yes, this is my first professional level exam -- do you have advice for me? My biggest problem is I am taking an online course for the CCNP with equipment provided. I spent my money on that and don't think I can afford a home lab. Going to Germany next year doesn't help things. :)

Luckily, I found I can use equipment from a closed down Cisco program where I work.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Read the study guide and do the lab portfolio. The questions dont require real world experience just lab work will do.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    examseeker wrote: »
    Yes, this is my first professional level exam -- do you have advice for me? My biggest problem is I am taking an online course for the CCNP with equipment provided. I spent my money on that and don't think I can afford a home lab. Going to Germany next year doesn't help things. :)

Luckily, I found I can use equipment from a closed down Cisco program where I work.

Basically, they expect you to have more than a casual understanding of the topics. It is pretty easy (to me any way) to memorize some facts and figures. But to gain an in depth thorough understanding, you need to use multiple sources of information, and do labs... and study, and study and study. I was able to pass the exam without purchasing a 3550 switch, but I have since purchased two and continue to play around with them. I purchased 1 of them for $230.00 with shipping, and it was a wise investment in my opinion. I also had access to 2950 switches, for CCNA-CCNP.

We are really at a great point in terms of access to information, where you can get questions answered on a board like this, or easily gain a better understanding of the study material, by using google...

Good luck on the retry, and from what I have seen, none of the NP level exams are easy.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    Ok, thanks.. will definitely use 'real' equipment. I have already studied multiple sources -- time to restart those too..

Thanks for the advice..

es
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another question to get you thinking...give an example of when you would want to use an SVI over no switchport and vise versa?