Passed BGP Exam

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I took the BGP exam just a bit ago. Passed with 850, not too bad considering the exam and my lack of experience with BGP. The sims were cake, I think I have a harder time remembering the theory than actually implementing the configuration. I spent a lot more time on this one than I have previous exams, wanted to make sure I really understood it.

Here are my study materials:
Internet Routing Architectures
Routing TCP/IP Vol II
Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook
RFCs
Narbik's Workbook

Now on to MPLS, which should be fun. Based on other posts it sounds like MPLS Fundamentals is the book to get, any other suggestions?

Comments

• kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Congrats which Narbik workbook did you use
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    kryolla wrote: »
    Congrats which Narbik workbook did you use

Thanks! I used the Advanced CCIE Routing & Switching workbook.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

I'll be moving onto this one too if I ever get around to taking the damn QoS exam. Did you find the Internet Routing Architectures book to align with the exam blueprint or did you need a lot of the supplementation of the Routing TCP/IP book?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Congrats!

I'll be moving onto this one too if I ever get around to taking the damn QoS exam. Did you find the Internet Routing Architectures book to align with the exam blueprint or did you need a lot of the supplementation of the Routing TCP/IP book?

Neither book covered everything, but Routing TCP/IP covered a lot more. Be prepared to do some reading on Cisco's site. The Command and Configuration handbook was particularly helpful because while doing labs I would run across a command I hadn't seen before and I could quickly look it up and find a good description as well as configuration and use examples.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Thanks for the review and good luck with MPLS.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! good luck on mpls!

btw, how are you finding the IP track?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote: »
    Congrats man! good luck on mpls!

btw, how are you finding the IP track?

Thanks, the IP track is a lot of fun. I like getting into the gritty details of things, so doing exams focused on a single subject is much more my style than NP where you have to know a bunch of information on an array of subjects. The only downside of IP is that there aren't nearly as many study materials for the exams as there are with NP.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations,
    and good luck with the MPLS! :)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Congratulations :) i've booked my BGP exam for June 8th....

I'm using roughly the same reading materials

Internet Routing Architectures
    Routing TCP\IP
    BGP Design and Implementation
    BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook

Good luck on MPLS :)

networker - The internet routing architecture book gives a pretty good all round overview of the early internet and then how BGP works etc.... In no way would it be used solely for the BGP exam. It goes into some depth about the theory but only touches the surface I believe...

I have a feeling the next book I'm reading 'BGP design and implementation' will be a good read to fill in the gaps from Internet Routing Architectures.....

Now go knock that QoS exam over!!! Trust me... it will be the easiest exam you ever sit!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • liquid6liquid6 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats!! Good luck on MPLS, I am almost done reading through the MPLS fundamentals book myself.

Let us know how you get on.
    blog.insomniacnetwork.com
    Thanks guys!
    liquid6 wrote: »
    congrats!! Good luck on MPLS, I am almost done reading through the MPLS fundamentals book myself.

Let us know how you get on.

What do you think about the Fundamentals book? The information seems good, but I find myself very distracted by the writing. I have to reread things a lot to try and figure out what the author was trying to say.

Here's an example:
    "Each time the LDP peer receives an LDP packet or a keepalive message, the keepalive timer is reset for that peer."

I assume he means the keepalive timer is reset for the remote peer, but it's really starting to irritate me. Please tell me it gets better.