Options

Has anyone heard of this company?

miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
My inital impression is run like hell.....icon_confused.gif:
but wondering if anyone has heard of them, and if it is legit......

Lan Wan Professional Jobs - Yahoo! HotJobs
I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
Page Count total to date - 1283

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    After a quick Google search, your initial impression to run like hell is correct.

Typical scam leading you to believe you'll get a job but you'll end up paying for training. I imagine the "we'll invest $20,000 if accepted" refers to if you are accepted for a loan to borrow that 20k to pay for training.

They also received the lowest rating (F) from the BBB according to an article I read.

Google them and you'll find a lot of info about how shady they are, they also have gone by the name of Tech Pros Group.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Um, yeah, I've heard dozens of complaints about that site - via google & from some forum members over at ProProfs. I don't have personal experience with them, but they don't exactly seem like the most reputable company and they make some pretty hard to keep promises.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Thanks for the info....

here was the add posted
    Cisco Engineer PAID Internship

The information technology industry is heating up again. There is currently a high volume of LAN/WAN positions and not enough qualified candidates. In fact, LAN/WAN positions (network systems analysts) are rated as the fastest growing job category for the next 10 years by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Link to BLS webpage: Table 6. The 30 fastest-growing occupations, 2006-2016

The Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) is the highest and most prestigious technical certification offered by Cisco Corporation and is commonly called the doctorate of networking. The nationwide average compensation for a CCIE is $98,000 per year.

Job Information: We are currently interviewing candidates for CCIE Enginer Internships. If you are selected, you will be placed in a 1 year CCIE engineer internship with a Cisco consulting partner in a major metropolitan area in your region. During your internship, you will receive training to get fully certified as a CCIE. The compensation you will receive during the 1 year internship will start at $30,000 increasing to $60,000 after 9 months therafter.
    The CCIE certification combined with the 1 year internship will qualify you for Cisco engineer positions making 66,000 to over $90,000 per year. Your actual compensation will vary based on location and how well you perform during the 1 year internship.

QUALIFICATIONS
    Please note that this is a serious, and challengining engineer level internship. For this reason, only extremely sharp, highly ambitious, tech savy individuals who are willing and prepared to make short term sacrifices for long term benefits should apply.
    BENEFITS & COSTS
    All candidates will receive CCIE level WAN training valued at over $40,000. The best part is that 100% of the training is paid through the 1 year internship and a percentage of your future income.
    We want to ensure that only serious and qualified candidates apply for this internship. For this reason, please visit LAN WAN PROFESSIONAL - Home for more information on this opportunity.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    miller811 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info....
    The best part is that 100% of the training is paid through the 1 year internship and a percentage of your future income.
    So even if all this were true, what are terms of this percentage of future income?!?! Like, what percent & for how long? That just does not sound cool to me.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    ccie in a year ?

A fool an their money are easily parted.
    Kam.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    miller811 wrote: »
    For this reason, only extremely sharp, highly ambitious, tech savy individuals who are willing and prepared to make short term sacrifices for long term benefits should apply.

Even if everything else wasn't enough that part would set off huge warning bells.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    My mind is screaming "SCAM" which is probably the case for most ppl who see something like this.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Unfortunately, "jobs" like this abound on job boards. Let see if I do the math right, you get $30,000 for your first year internship which costs $40,000 that leaves you $10,000 short. How do you get that money, a loan will be their answer. Ok, so now your $10K in the hole. So you finish you internship, no guarantee of placing you in a job. I'll bet you didn't perform well enough to warrant your placement in a real job. Oh well.