SY0-101 or SY0-201???

BelchbabyBelchbaby Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Which would you take and why?

Thanx!!!

Comments

• amtt81amtt81 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am trying to figure out the same thing. I think the 201 has a higher required passing score. but I would like to hear other chime in. I think its 760 for 201 vs 750 for the 101.
    I have heard that the 101 has a ton of the DAC, MAC, RBAC stuff whereas the 201 doesnt.
    They have the same # of questions, but also the 201 might have more cryptography, i am just guessing this from the printout of the exam objective from CompTIA.
    I think I am going to go for the 201 - because i think the DAC, MAC, RBAC stuff is more confusing than the amount of cryptography you will need to understand.
    I am pretty new to this site, so i would love to hear what the experts think.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would recommend that you go f0r 201. I recently passed 101 and it had alot on the different access control methods and authentication methods but kinda lacking on the cryptology.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the 101 expire already, or is expiring this month?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the 101 expire already, or is expiring this month?

The SY-101 is expiring on july 31 .......icon_wink.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SYO-101 hasn't expired yet, I just took mine on Tuesday. I took SYO-101 rather than SYO-201 because I needed it for school and that's the one they gave me the voucher ofr. That and I had already started studying for SYO-101. It took me 2 tries to pass by I eventually passed it.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I took SY0-101 only because our company has the material for that exam and I didn't want to spend money on buying new materials !

It doesn't make difference. I heard only US department of defense and/or US Army asks for the updated version of the exam...other than that you will be Security+ certified..and it's just an entry level cert so personally I wouldn't stress much about it.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• etitinaetitina Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what study materials are you guys using i want to take the test :)
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ill chip in here and say im using the CBT nuggets for the 2008 edition of the exam and the sybex book SY0-201. I have my second attempt at this exam booked for the 26th of October (the last attempt was almost a year ago, yes I am slow).
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.