Windows 7 xp mode

Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
When I first saw this I thought that it would be like using the compatability tab on programs, except it actually works. But now that I find it's just a Virtual machine, what's the big deal? People can already do that in Vista. Granted they need another license I guess.

Is there something I'm missing about this flaunted XP-mode? Is it seriously just a virtual machine running in Windows 7? Wouldn't this double the amount of machines you have to maintain on your network with patches and such if say all your machines had an older app that needed access to your network?
A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
CCNA

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, it is "just" a virtual machine and I guess the main selling point Microsoft is trying to make is that the license is free.

One thing is a bit shite though (if this is the "final word")
    As shown in the video, one of the (current?) limitations with XPM (as a result of client Terminal Server licensing) is that only one user or channel can be open at any given time. This means you cannot execute Internet Explorer 6 while running maintenance tasks within the virtual machine, like installing updates from Windows Update.

So yes, you have a free license etc., but it will be limited ...

Within Windows

Windows 7 RC1 has just been released to Partner, MSDN and Technet but XMP is still not available to "test" .. So I guess all we can do is rely on people who were able to test it and on the final product.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    Yes, it is "just" a virtual machine and I guess the main selling point Microsoft is trying to make is that the license is free.

One thing is a bit shite though (if this is the "final word")

So yes, you have a free license etc., but it will be limited ...

Within Windows

Windows 7 RC1 has just been released to Partner, MSDN and Technet but XMP is still not available to "test" .. So I guess all we can do is rely on people who were able to test it and on the final product.

Goto technet and click on Applications, and click on Windows Virtual PC.

XP mode and Windows Virtual PC Betas are in there to try out. It requires RC code, though. Im waiting on RC to finish downloading but the demand is bogging down technet at the moment.
    Jordus wrote: »
    Goto technet and click on Applications, and click on Windows Virtual PC.

XP mode and Windows Virtual PC Betas are in there to try out. It requires RC code, though. Im waiting on RC to finish downloading but the demand is bogging down technet at the moment.

Ah, got it... Sneaky :)

Cheers ..

What the heck is RAIL QFE

Edit, nvm
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Tyrant1919 wrote: »
    When I first saw this I thought that it would be like using the compatability tab on programs, except it actually works. But now that I find it's just a Virtual machine, what's the big deal? People can already do that in Vista. Granted they need another license I guess.

Is there something I'm missing about this flaunted XP-mode? Is it seriously just a virtual machine running in Windows 7? Wouldn't this double the amount of machines you have to maintain on your network with patches and such if say all your machines had an older app that needed access to your network?

The big deal is that applications installed in the XP vm are published to the Win7 start menu like TS Remote App in Server 2008. The user just clicks on the icon and the program launches - the vm is invisble to them.
    Well, I just tried it ... twice ;)

857_Capture.png
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Claymoore wrote: »
    The big deal is that applications installed in the XP vm are published to the Win7 start menu like TS Remote App in Server 2008. The user just clicks on the icon and the program launches - the vm is invisble to them.
    exactly. Virtual installations aren't new, but the ability to basically have a shortcut to a program within that virtual machine and have it launch without having to first launch virtual PC IS new. And kinda cool.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, that's not so bad then... that's pretty cool then.

What if the application needs access to the network. Would it need a seperate computer name in the VM? It's own updates etc... since it is technically a seperate OS. Or is it sort of tunneling through Win 7 to get what it needs.

I'm just being lazy and haven't done any research. I think it's cool, but, I'm not sold on it yet.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What if the application needs access to the network. Would it need a seperate computer name in the VM? It's own updates etc... since it is technically a seperate OS. Or is it sort of tunneling through Win 7 to get what it needs.

It will probably work like other VM apps and use NAT or bridging. You might be able to configure that.
    I think it's cool, but, I'm not sold on it yet.

Even if it's not perfect, it's a necessary step. They need to be able to break backwards compatibility and get rid of all that junk under the hood. This allows them to do that and still support legacy applications.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    My BETA runs out 01-08-09, as does every elses, while RC1 runs out June 1st 2010

How cool is that, 13 months to save up maybe £100 or so, thats 25 pence per day

:)
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I will be using Rc1 at work, im looking forward to it!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    lol, gomjaba is a noob ;)