Options

Security+ 2007 SYO-101 Passed today!!!!

jdocchio67jdocchio67 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Today I hit another miles stone the world of IT certifications. I passed Security+ 2007 SYO-101 845/900. After failing this exam the last year with a 720 this feels awesome!!!!

The last time I only used the Sybex and Exam cram books which were missing alot of the inforamation I had the last time on the test.

This time I was going to go in locked and loaded. Books I used the Syngress, Sybex, Exam Cram, Exam Cram 2 Practice questions, Security+ Fast Pass and Mike Myers Passports.
I found that each book had information which the others did or did not have.
I also used Tech Exams study guides. Prep Logics Study Guide was worth the 40 bucks.
And I spent 5 months studying for this again due to I refused to fail again.

I know I spent alot of money on study material, although for someone which has little experience on the server end, and the hardcore configurations of the firewall, switches and networking end. I got it done, and that's what counts.

Time to take a break and move on to other things.

Thank you folks for all the assitance and encouragement along the way.

It's Friday, TIME TO GRAB A BEER or 2. icon_smile.gif
Have a reat weekend everyone.

jd

Comments

• Options
    johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    congrats!!
    Any advice for people who haven't taken this yet? What are you moving onto?
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems

I would advise to pick up the Syngress book as it has much more in depth explainations on the material. For example cookies you need to know the different type of cookies, Temporary, Session, Persistant, and Tracking, also cookie poisoning, these are not listed in all the other books, they only have little paragraphs about cookies.

The Security+ Fast pass is an excellent final review and it covers terms for MAC, DAC and RBAC which are not mentioned in the other books. Such as subjects and objects,

Make sure you understand MAC, DAC and RBAC very well.

If anyone taking this exam is not knowledeable of Active Directory of the different permissions of creating group and individual user accounts make sure you learn this.

Make sure that you are knowledgeable of DNS servers DNS Spoofing and DNS poising attacks.

Know all the different attacks and viruses in depth.

Know Java Script, Java Applets, Java (Sandbox) and ActiveX controls, and how they function.

and make sure that everything else that is covered in the books and Techexams.net study guide know it and know it well.

I'm moving on to do a Certificate program in Computer Forensics, Since I already have a B.S. the counselor informed me that I don't need another B.S. degree I can just do the Certificate program 8 courses, and then go from there.

Best of luck to everyone!!! icon_smile.gif
    jd
  • Options
    Forgot one other item. Make sure anyone taking this test is knowledgeable of Wireless connections and issues, and how to resolve them.

Cryptography is an major listing as well, know everything about Asymmetric and Symmetric Algorithms. i.e., AES, RSA, DES, etc.
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jdocchio67 wrote: »
    Today I hit another miles stone the world of IT certifications. I passed Security+ 2007 SYO-101 845/900. After failing this exam the last year with a 720 this feels awesome!!!!

The last time I only used the Sybex and Exam cram books which were missing alot of the inforamation I had the last time on the test.

This time I was going to go in locked and loaded. Books I used the Syngress, Sybex, Exam Cram, Exam Cram 2 Practice questions, Security+ Fast Pass and Mike Myers Passports.
    I found that each book had information which the others did or did not have.
    I also used Tech Exams study guides. Prep Logics Study Guide was worth the 40 bucks.
    And I spent 5 months studying for this again due to I refused to fail again.

I know I spent alot of money on study material, although for someone which has little experience on the server end, and the hardcore configurations of the firewall, switches and networking end. I got it done, and that's what counts.

Time to take a break and move on to other things.

Thank you folks for all the assitance and encouragement along the way.

It's Friday, TIME TO GRAB A BEER or 2. icon_smile.gif
    Have a reat weekend everyone.

jd

Many CONGRATS mate!

I plan on taking mine in months' time.

Just a question off the topic; I noticed that you have only earned the vendor-neutral certs, any particular reason for that? do you see a change in demand when it comes to vendor-specific or vendor-neutral certs.

Enjoy your success!
  • Options
    djsrickdjsrick Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks dude I've been studying for a couple weeks and bombed on the pratice tests but read up on some of the material and have been doing better. I passed my Network + on April 3 after failing it 2 weeks prior with a 540. I have security + in a nutshell along with Information security essentials. I 'm thinking that it makes more sense for me to take the Sy0-201 instead. Did you consider that an option before??
  • Options
    coffeeking wrote: »
    Many CONGRATS mate!

I plan on taking mine in months' time.

Just a question off the topic; I noticed that you have only earned the vendor-neutral certs, any particular reason for that? do you see a change in demand when it comes to vendor-specific or vendor-neutral certs.

Enjoy your success!

Thank you coffeeking,
    I'm taking it one step at time. The first time I took the Security+ certification I failed it due to I was not prepared enough for it due to lack of information which needed to be learned.

Vendor certifications only get you so far. I do want to head toward the Forensics and security portion of IT, as I will be looking to do other certifications as time goes by. I just wish to work on my education on the forensics side right now. Then figure out what other certifications I need to take and continue from there.

Best of luck to you on your exam
  • Options
    djsrick wrote: »
    Thanks dude I've been studying for a couple weeks and bombed on the pratice tests but read up on some of the material and have been doing better. I passed my Network + on April 3 after failing it 2 weeks prior with a 540. I have security + in a nutshell along with Information security essentials. I 'm thinking that it makes more sense for me to take the Sy0-201 instead. Did you consider that an option before??

I thought about doing the 201, although since I was already in the process of restudying for the 101, and I've already spent so much time, and money on study material. I just did the 101 and at least get that under my belt.

Best of luck on your test
    icon_smile.gif