CCSP: Useful or just a Trophy Cert?

mistervincemistervince Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Almost completed my course for my CCNA. I want to get into the security aspect of networking. Cisco offers a course called CCSP(Cisco Certified Security Professional). Has anyone taken this course? Know people that have? Or do you have additional info. I dont want to just take this course (since it expensive, most Cisco is) and the employer not to think that much of it. I wanna hear what ya got to say!
- Vince
Why is SuSE better than Redhat?

Its alllll in the startup scripts. All in the startup scripts. >.<

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.

Comments

• forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    Almost completed my course for my CCNA. I want to get into the security aspect of networking. Cisco offers a course called CCSP(Cisco Certified Security Professional). Has anyone taken this course? Know people that have? Or do you have additional info. I dont want to just take this course (since it expensive, most Cisco is) and the employer not to think that much of it. I wanna hear what ya got to say!
    - Vince
    CCSP isn't just one course (unless you're talking about a CCSP bootcamp). The CCSP certification requires five separate exams:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/learning/le3/le2/le37/le54/learning_certification_type_home.html
    Each exam has a Cisco course associated with it. As far as what you're employer thinks about it, why don't you ask him/her?
  • netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it depends what you are interested in and want area you want to work in. Depending on the size of the company you work for your employer might not think it relevent enough, as Forbesl says it is a whole bunch of exams.

Also I wouldn't recommend doing it as a bootcamp, it would be too much to take in at one time.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
  • ErazerErazer Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    actually im facing a similar problem : i'm going to present the CCNA Exam next month , and im hesitating on what to do next CCNP or CCSP ... I love everything related to security so i was thinking of doing CCSP (i already ordered the Pix firewall book) , but the problem is that unlike CCNP , in order to recertify i have to re-pass all 5 exams , not 1 common exam (like in CCNP) + i dont know if there's a job for that certification in here since most pple go for the CCNP , never saw anyone that has the CCSP ...
  • netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Erazer.

It depends on if you have any further goals beyond CCSP - ie a CCIE track. You have three years before you have to recert and the CCIE written exam will also recertify the CCSP.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
  • ErazerErazer Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    actually , another problem is that i have 1 year left to get my BS in computer communication , and i dont have any real experience ; i mean what if after all i dont find a job on cisco devices and get a job doing sthing else , as server admin or sthing else .... I live in lebanon , a very small country , where only 3 companies are cisco partners , so unless i get a job in one of those 3 companies , i doubt that i'll be working on cisco devices (unless i travel and go abroad , which is an option im considering after getting my masters) . I dont think i'll go for CCIE unless i get a job working on CISCO devices , so CCSP or CCNP is more than enough for me in my country . CCNP might be more useful in here since it can help me working in ISPs , while i have no idea if any company would care about my CCSP .
  • MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    To re-certify the CCSP, one only have to pass the CSI exam again.
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i aggre if you want to progress in this field and make some money too ...
    you should follow the certs all the way to the end.
    who cares if it takes 5 years .... my ccna was in 2000 !!!
    rm -rf /
  • YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    Old certifications just mean you have to recert again!

I have to renew my cisco stuff for the second time next year... icon_redface.gif

Yankee
  • Ser71Ser71 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I go to CCSP, i make first Secure exam and pass 944, security is very important for the network market. Make some esperience before make some CCNP exams, Routing is very difficult for start. Good luck

Sergio Scalfaro
  • UndertowUndertow Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After CCNA , I wouldn't go for CCNP immediately.
    CCNP needs some experience and deep knowledge.
    I would recommend you CCSP.Because security is an exciting aspect.
    When I take certs , my first thought is how exciting it is for me .Job is secondary.
    When I get ICND my next goal is CCSP and then in one year (october 2006) I 'll go for the CCNP , given that I will find a 6month job and gain some experience.
  • dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    im doing CCSP. My current job doesnt require it, but I'm doing it for the knowledge. I always do my certs for the knowledge first. I just seem to "force" myself to learn when I'm studying for certs.

When I grow up, I want to be Ten9t6 icon_lol.gif
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Erazer wrote:
    actually im facing a similar problem : i'm going to present the CCNA Exam next month , and im hesitating on what to do next CCNP or CCSP ... I love everything related to security so i was thinking of doing CCSP (..

That's where I'm at. My plan after my CCNA is to get the Sec+, then do my MCSE (with the + security).

Once I get some exp. with Cisco, at least more than plugging in a rack, I would like to go for the CCSP, but the training center I'm at doesn't yet offer it (they won't offer a course unless 2 instructors are certified and experienced, which rocks).

I guess we'll have to see how much it helps my career getting the CCNA and MSCE, and what sort of experience I end up with.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • ubergeekubergeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would definitely recommend CCSP after taking up your CCNA, though CCNP is a good one too, but since the internet today is inverting meaning the perimeter network is not the focus of security but the internet itself. So, I would suggest taking up security certifications not only with Cisco but other platforms as well (Juniper, Checkpoint, ISC2, ISS etc). You won't regret the choice that you'd make and the investment that you will make.
    Thank you for calling Cisco Technical Assistance Center.. This is Edward how may I help you?
  • netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    I have my CCNA and I am planning on starting the CCSP exams I know that the new CCNP exams are coming out so I will wait 2 months after they come out to start taking them. Right now at work I am dealing alot with pix's and ASA devices.