Options

Am I Going About It the Right Way?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I know there a couple of people on here that work in the security industry and was hoping for some help. Currently, I am in that everyone wants experience, but doesn't want to give experience phase of the job hunt. My plan is to get some security certs behind me to show that I have the aptitude to do the work. It's my hope that having some would lead to a job at the bottom of the security ladder (like monitoring firewalls or IDS/IPS). I've been applying for every type of job out there (help desk, field tech, some security related titles) in an attempt to gain more IT experience. In your opinion(s), is this a correct course of action?

On a side note, I did have a bit of good news. Monster let's you see how often your resume has been viewed and placing the CEH on there got me four views in one day! Sad, but it really is the little things that make you happy!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'm not in the security field yet, but I think you are in the right direction.

If you're working as Microsoft admin, then get security certs in that field (MCSE:Sec..)..if you are in Cisco then get CCNA: Sec then CCSP...

but it's better to get IT experience in general...System admin experience and network admin...this kind of experience, will make the move easier.

I know people who were system admins, then within the same company they became Security admins..doing some sys admin tasks that are more security oriented..with the help of certs
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    YES, you seem to be going about it the right way. Certs can definitely help your search. IMO it shows the potential that you have towards security, but be patient with it. I know a guy who had a CEH and was a security nerd but worked at help desk and then as a user accounts admin before landing his thing in Security. But he was one hell of a guy and did very well for himself in a couple of years. GOOD LUCK.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    There is no standard type of InfoSec job or worker, and there's no standard way of entering any InfoSec field. Very few InfoSec workers actually have a degree in InfoSec, so people enter InfoSec sideways from other professions (sysadmin, netadmin, programmer, auditor, accountant, law enforcement, etc.) Degrees, certs, and networking with people in professional InfoSec organizations are certainly all a part of that.

You need to target a specialty in InfoSec (like network security) and do what you can to increase your knowledge, aptitude, and experience in that field. Working in that field is very important to accrue experience. You may not be able to directly get a job in InfoSec, but instead find an entry-level opportunity where you can be promoted to it. And it may take a long time, especially with the current hiring trends due to the economy. Just keep doing what you can to invest in yourself and it will pay off if you are both persistent and patient.
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    On a side note, I did have a bit of good news. Monster let's you see how often your resume has been viewed and placing the CEH on there got me four views in one day! Sad, but it really is the little things that make you happy!
    Monster indicates which search term(s) cause your resume to appear in a search result? That is very handy for fine-tuning your resume information.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help guys! I'm probably looking more into network security so I'll continue on with the Cisco tree and maybe a little Netscreen. Nah, I wish Monster did that! Just so happens I updated my resume on Thursday and Friday I had 4 more hits. I made an educated guess and figured it was from the CEH...could be wrong!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Grinch,
    If I remember right you live in eastern PA or was in NJ? Where have you been looking exactly? I would just look at getting in with a larger company working there building some experience in Networking or System Administration. Once you've done that it's easy to apply to internal positions and move around. I see openings in our security department all the time, plus at the larger companies they usually have a vast security department with different focus groups. I'll move to the group one day but I want a few years doing the network security thing before moving to the security group.
  • Options
    Yup I am in South Jersey not far from Philadelphia. I've been applying to businesses big and small, just have to continue the search. Thanks again for all the help guys!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff