Looking for a kind of IT job

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
What kind of IT job would involve regular interaction with people (in-person, not over the phone), a decent salary that is attainable within a resasonable amount of time, and can be obtained through self-study (if need be)?

I've found myself to be far more of a people-person that I realized. Most IT jobs have people in cubicles or sequestered away without a lot of people interaction. I'm just trying to determine if the other specifics of my question can be found in this field, or if I should look in another field altogether. I suppose IT sales is one possibility, but in our economy, I don't know that that's something promising at the moment.

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Start your own consulting business? That sounds like what would ideally fit your criteria there.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • PaperclipPaperclip Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm internal help desk at a company of about 250 users. Due to contracts, the systems there have a lot of weirdness and a lot of funky different apps must be supported. We have remote sites (but they are small) and some full time telecommuters so there is some phone work. But since I work at the main office, most of the users are there and I get a lot of face time.

I like it. I've been there six months and I know almost all the users. The users themselves usually only get to know the people in their own department, but I get to meet everyone. When they see me rollin' they know their computer is about to get schooled.

Help desk jobs get a bad rap, but to me the key is internal, at a company. (As opposed to say, a school where the students have their own laptops that they are the local administrator of, or supporting consumers for a company that sells them a product.)
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Paperclip wrote: »
    I'm internal help desk at a company of about 250 users. Due to contracts, the systems there have a lot of weirdness and a lot of funky different apps must be supported. We have remote sites (but they are small) and some full time telecommuters so there is some phone work. But since I work at the main office, most of the users are there and I get a lot of face time.

I like it. I've been there six months and I know almost all the users. The users themselves usually only get to know the people in their own department, but I get to meet everyone. When they see me rollin' they know their computer is about to get schooled.

Help desk jobs get a bad rap, but to me the key is internal, at a company. (As opposed to say, a school where the students have their own laptops that they are the local administrator of, or supporting consumers for a company that sells them a product.)

Intriguing. But I thought that helpdesk jobs as a general rule didn't pay well?
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Technical instructor might be a good job for you. Depending on what they teach they can make good money. Although the best ones have a lot of experience with what they teach. I have no idea how you get into something like that but maybe you could start out small by doing test prep for some of the CompTIA exams.

If you have no experience in IT you'll probably start out in help desk, that's where most people do.

Good luck!