Worth doing MCDST if you already have MCSA

IkkaIkka Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, been a long time guest to this forum really helped me out on the past exams i've taking.

I have recently got MCSA:M thinking about taking a step backwards and do the MCDST (trying to get my foot into a job) How useful is the MCDST?

Looking at level 1 helpdesk etc also looked over the preparation guide for the 70-271 it don't seem that hard.

I normally buy the MS Press books for each exam I'm going to take, maybe I'm still on cloud 9 but I've just booked the 70-271

Any thoughts on the 20-271 exam, is it one of those exam's which is harder than it looks? also is it worth doing the MCDST when i have MCSA would it be worth moving towards MCSE? thinking about the 70-270 exam must count for something, worth more than the 70-271?
My main aim is to get into a IT job also have no experience in a IT workplace. After i would then like to complete MCSE.

Any thought's would be great thanks

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do a search on job boards and see what you find. I don't see it as adding much value to an MCSA, but at the same time, you could probably knock those two exams out fairly easily since you've already done 270.
  • steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it's worthwhile for you because you are trying to get an entry level job. MCDST would be more worthwhile to you than MCSE.

Seeing as you did 270 for your MCSA, MCDST should not be too difficult. You may find it a bit tedious trying to remember things like where every single setting is located in IE6 (especially Firefox being so popular with IT people these days, and most PCs having IE7).

You will also have to learn some basic troubleshooting and configuring of Office 2003 which is very useful in an entry level role.

I spent months trying to break into IT, once I passed MCDST I landed a good amount of interviews. That was in a better job environment though.

You could try just putting MCP and details of 270 you did on your CV now, leaving out the MCSA:M until you are looking for your 2nd IT job.
  • IkkaIkka Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for both of the replies

The main reason why i started thinking more about MCDST was because of a job ad i saw. Like i said the preparation guide for 70-271 don't seem much compared to 70-270, but like you said dyamik the two exams i should be able to knock them both in under a month.. just don't want to have more MS certs and still trying to get my foot in.

Thanks steve, i was hoping someone would reply with their past history trying to break into IT, 70-271 is booked for this week might write a couple of different CV's and see what happens.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it would worthwhile to have the cert, especially since you are going for a helpdesk job. The 270 and 271 are very similar. Play with IE6's internet options are you should be good to go.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I did the MCDST after the MCSA (at that point I was already a Senior Tech), I do have to say that I did learn a couple of thing, very useful :)
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done the MCDST after the MCSA, and ya NinjaBoy i actually did learn some new things was a bit shocked to be honest. I blame it down to me using Vista I'll shhh =)

Thanks for the advice Psoasman, soon I'll get ready a spare computer and install IE 6 and any other applications needed for the 70-272 exam.

Took the 271 today, passed so it's all good just need to look over the preparation guide for 272 and take it from there. Hoping that will be out of the way in 2 weeks or so and then back on the MCSE track, might even take a break and just relax.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck on the 272, it is easier than the 271 / 270. You might also brush up on Outlook express. know the various ways to work with address books, vcards, .pst files, etc.
    Small update I passed the 70-272 couple days ago just like to say thanks to the people who replied I did read and take in the advice and brushed up on the areas which where suggested and it all helped.
  • bobbaftbobbaft Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ikka wrote: »
    Small update I passed the 70-272 couple days ago just like to say thanks to the people who replied I did read and take in the advice and brushed up on the areas which where suggested and it all helped.

Congrats. Now if you're looking to complete the MCSE, consider taking the 70-621 upgrade for the MCDST (and 70-620). It counts as an elective for the MCSE and should be a little easier than the other electives out there. Unless you're like the other over-acheivers here and want to be challenged :P
  • buttonsbuttons Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The more certs you have, the better in my opinion. Also, every cert ive studied for ive learned something-- despite being in the field with 10 years of experience before taking my first microsoft exam.

All of my previous employers reimbursed me when I passed an Exam. I took special precaution to go above and beyond to make sure I didnt have to foot the bill. Its always paid off one way or another for me. icon_smile.gif free certs + free knowledge.
  • pladuclopladuclo Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I laughed so hard my daughter walked in the room and asked what was so funny!!
    Thank you for the smile and for being such a great PM friend to me!! I'm so grateful for all your support and friendship...
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pladuclo wrote: »
    I laughed so hard my daughter walked in the room and asked what was so funny!!
    Thank you for the smile and for being such a great PM friend to me!! I'm so grateful for all your support and friendship...
    The ****?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%