SharePoint Server 2007 Utilisation

wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Im going to have to install sharepoint 2007 soon. I really need to know a few questions:
  • how does sharepoint store its files? Is it in the SQL database?
  • If i have to recover sharepoint, can i re-install it and point it to the database? Im sure permissions are an issue here?
  • What sort of system utilisation does sharepoint have on a server? If it stores all its documents on the SQL server, then what sort of system would i need to run the config files and the web server files?
  • What sort of security would you reccomend for allowing users to access the site from the internet.
  • What sort of drain does it have on the SQL server?
If anybody can help me here, i would appreciate it!

Thanks!
~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Start with the Technet SharePoint site (Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Articles, Blogs, Updates | TechNet) as it covers all these questions in detail (look at the Life Cycle section on the main page). Proper SharePoint deployments require planning and you need to make sure you've read the appropriate technical documents before you sit down to implement or you may find yourself attempting to re-engineer it down the road.
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You wouldnt happen to know how to develop custom permissions would you?

I dont mean within sharepoint either, i mean developing custom permissions for the custom permissions section? Id imagine itd probably be something to do with the schema?
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    You wouldnt happen to know how to develop custom permissions would you?

I dont mean within sharepoint either, i mean developing custom permissions for the custom permissions section? Id imagine itd probably be something to do with the schema?
    Can you give me an idea of what you are trying to accomplish and why the built in permissions can't be used by defining custom roles?
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sorry for the lengthy away*...

The reason is, i need our students to be able to edit their own work and upload it to sharepoint from home, then if they need to, delete or edit their work over the internet. Sharepoint only allows you to have these rights for an entire group rather than an individual user?

thanks.
  • tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    how does sharepoint store its files? Is it in the SQL database?

Yeah, it uses a SQL Database to store it's files. Although it's a wierd system. You can use windows explorer to remove files.

If i have to recover sharepoint, can i re-install it and point it to the database? Im sure permissions are an issue here?

I'd take regular backups vis stsadm, if you do a google search for it. you'll get a good bit of info. It's able to maintain all security settings and it'll restore within 10 minutes.

What sort of system utilisation does sharepoint have on a server? If it stores all its documents on the SQL server, then what sort of system would i need to run the config files and the web server files?

This is a piece of string question. How many users are going to be hitting the server? I only have about 50 users hitting my sharepoint site and I've got the DB lumped in with a lot of others to no ill effect.

What sort of security would you reccomend for allowing users to access the site from the internet.

I've never tried this specifically but you can create customer permissions sets and assign these to users rather than groups so it should be do-able.

Cheers