290 Study Materials.. MS Press?

HallucinateHallucinate Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
What study materials do you recommend for 290? I already have the training kit by MS Press. I will be using a combination of VMware and the actual servers at work.

Anything else i should pick up? How well will the training kit by MS press prepare you for the exam? Everything seems extremely basic so far.

Comments

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The MS press book is good for this one. As well as that and the labs, maybe read a few TechNet articles, watch the CBTNuggets and use a good testing engine like Transcender (though I didn't use Transcender myself). It's not a bad exam if you've got some experience, do enough lab work and work through the MS press book though. Good luck!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • HallucinateHallucinate Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick response! I noticed you said the MS press is pretty good for "this one." Are there any of the exams that the MS press isn't that great?

Ill definitely be sure to watch some of the CBT nuggets. I don't have any transcender as of yet though.

I am in the US Navy on deployment. Lately, ive been spending nearly all of my time reading, doing, and more reading.

Im eager to pull into a port and and take a test or two.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    noticed you said the MS press is pretty good for "this one." Are there any of the exams that the MS press isn't that great?

Just 293 for the regular track (go with Syngress for that one). I used MS Press on all the others. I heard the Exchange 2007 book is pretty poor as well, but I haven't read it.

+1 for Transcender.
    Thanks for the help. I have been doing a lot of reading on the forums the past few days and it appears that there are many fans of transcender. I've worked with many contractors who have been onboard for various things, and many recommend *********. Suprisingly, though, I haven't really seen it mentioned on these forums.

Btw, I'm assuming regular track is 290-294 for MCSA. What about all the way up to MCSE?
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've worked with many contractors who have been onboard for various things, and many recommend *********. Suprisingly, though, I haven't really seen it mentioned on these forums.

That's because it's a braindump. We stay away from those here.

The MSPress book was my main source of study along with a couple virtual machines. So +1 for MSPress.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • arian1234arian1234 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    for MCSE, 290,291,293 and 294. than u can choose 1 for client OS 620(vista)/270(xp)/210(windows 2000) and choose 1 for design exam 297/298 and 1 from elective list. i have used hyperlessons material for mcse revision, found good and authenticated and helpful in regards of exam preparation
  • DjScientistDjScientist Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ms Press is good enough for this exam.Its not really a tough exam if you have read enough.If you can get your hands on Testout Video,you will be set.Goodluck!
    Working on 293:
    I am glad to hear the MS Press actually covers what is needed on the exam. Most of it is pretty straight-forward. I will check out the testout for this as well. I used testout for network+ and i also went through it for the security+ (which ive already scheduled my test date for). I really can't wait to pull into port. Being underway gets old :\

I am going to do some research on the "navy cool" program and see if i am able to acquire an additional exam voucher prior to submitting my security+ results. If i can, it is likely i will take both exams when i pull in.
  • pmmcateerpmmcateer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Hallucinate, first off thank you for your service. I separated last year but still in the reserves so doing my part time navy thing:) If your chain is onboard with the Navy Cool thing it can be great, no out of pocket costs! If planning on staying in for awhile, an MCSA/E would look great on those evals man...best of luck!