1st IT job advice needed

dimothy10dimothy10 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear all,

Left university with a degree in Geography (not much help for IT) and ecided I wanted a career in IT for various reasons. While working in a hotel as a front desk person I studied for A+, Network+ and MCDST hoping that these would get me a job. Unfortunately it seems that no such 1st line support job exists in London without a requirement for an MCSA or experience with AD. Am I just looking at an unlucky time or is this normally the case? My other concern is with these IT training companies that seem to be all over the UK. Have had a number of calls from them asking me to pay them for training and then they will guarantee me a job/work experience. Is this where all the 1st line and entry level roles have disappeared to? Or have I just missed the right online job board or industry newspaper? Thanks in advance for any help guidance you could offer this increasingly frustrated individual!

Tim

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Hi Tim, what you've studied and passed so far is good going. There are jobs around for helpdesk but tis a tough market at the moment and getting your foot in the door is gonna be tough. Thats not to say it wont happen, just takes a little longer thats all. I'd keep up the study if you can so that you can at least discuss AD and other areas if needed. Dont be put of by job adverts saying they want this cert or that one. It's a bench mark and an "ideal" person.
    Most places know they have to compromise somewhere to fill the role (again outside this current climate its easier) If you feel you can do the job and you beleive it's at your level apply for it. Half the fun in this game is getting your CV out to decent (and sometimes not so decent) agents and market yourself as much as possible.
    Keep trying and you will get there icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I am not in the UK so I can't speak for the job market, but I want to echo the advice not to worry too much about what the job ads say. Read the desciption of the job. If you feel that it is something you can do or you can do most of it, go ahead and apply. It doesn't cost anything. Let them decide whether you are qualified. The ads say what they would like to have, not what they actually require. Usually they list qualifications that a person with those qualifications would never work for the salary they want to pay.

Most entry level job skills can be learned on the job if you have a basic background. With your certs, you should easily be considered for any entry level help desk job. If you are applying and not getting any calls for interviews, you need to check out your CV for problems. If you are getting interviews and no offers, practice your interviewing skills.

Hope that helps
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll echo the echo. If it sound like something you could do, apply anyway.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    dimothy10 wrote: »
    Dear all,

Left university with a degree in Geography (not much help for IT) and ecided I wanted a career in IT for various reasons. While working in a hotel as a front desk person I studied for A+, Network+ and MCDST hoping that these would get me a job. Unfortunately it seems that no such 1st line support job exists in London without a requirement for an MCSA or experience with AD. Am I just looking at an unlucky time or is this normally the case?

job market is very tough at the moment but you are luckier than most as you are looking or entry level where you are expecting the wages to be low. For those jobs that are around, recruiters know they can offer less and still get a queue of people applying. The more senior guys arn't going to be able to afford these entry level jobs nor would they be considered because the recruiters know they wouldn't last long before they got bored or a better job and move on. Best case scenario they would be very disruptive.

Your degree and your other studies will stand you in good stead. Don't worry about the Geo degree. Doesn't really make a lot of difference in support. Being based in London is also a big plus
    My other concern is with these IT training companies that seem to be all over the UK. Have had a number of calls from them asking me to pay them for training and then they will guarantee me a job/work experience.

Stay the hell away from these companies. They are just there to fleece you of your money. Even without the current job climate, they can no way gurentee you a job and you will end up with various excuses after they have taken your thousands off you. All this cr.p about starting salaries of £35k are just that. Cr.p ! Do yourself a favour and stay clear!
    Is this where all the 1st line and entry level roles have disappeared to? Or have I just missed the right online job board or industry newspaper? Thanks in advance for any help guidance you could offer this increasingly frustrated individual!
    Tim

Try jobserve.com avoid uploading your cv to monster and fish. They are full of piranhas too that will happily take your details and try to make money off your need for that first step on the ladder.

Look around for IT jobs published by recruitment agencies (jobserve) and look for those with many different IT roles and those of the kind you would be aiming for. Select some of the more popular ones and apply to go on their books directly.

Getting in the door of IT has always been tricky even without a recession. Once you are in, once you have two years of bum on seat, you are on your way.

Just keep plugging away and you will get there eventually. We've all been through it.
    Kam.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Go to a online job website and find a job that you may like.Then send them your Resume it's really hard now a days if you got no previous i.t work experience.But do not EVER give up everyone goes through this.

icon_thumright.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't know about the UK, but in the U.S. Geo technology is becoming huge.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To respond to my own posted reply, it's called GIS. Geographic Information Systems.
  • buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been in your shoes before. My advice keep at it don't give up. You will eventually get the experience and then move up to the job you really want. It will take time though. I landed some contract jobs and these helped me get experience and fill up my resume. You could try going after some contract jobs.
  • dimothy10dimothy10 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the responses guys (and girls). still plugging away online with the job apps so will hopefully get something soon. have also been badgering friends for their companies IT managers details to see if i can blag some work experience or some kind of internship style job. still will have to wait and see if that pans out or indeed helps some. anyhow, must get back to trying to get my virtual domain working, is slowly but surely defeating me lol.