What are some "non traditional" Net Admin jobs?

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
if that even makes sense? i guess by choosing this career, i am basically bound to work in someones business, sitting in an office for the rest of my life? is there anything more interesting out there? or can someone suggest a specialty that could spice things up a bit? I have a BS in Biology... i would love to get in the field or something....

i dunno....

icon_cry.gif

Comments

• d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    u could retire early like in your 40s (save & load up your 401k).
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
  • tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    d00dle wrote: »
    u could retire early like in your 40s (save & load up your 401k).

thats too 90's.....

....and i'm already in my 40's.... so there goes that.

icon_cry.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Consulting, training, sales, start your own business and do all three, make adult IT CBTs, etc. There are plenty of opportunities.

Edit: No offense, but if you run with the CBT idea, please only contribute as a writer ;)
  • d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    w/ your experience & degree, u could become an instructor @community college or high school. make a difference & change lives. it's very rewarding.
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
    well, to pull off the CBT thing, i'd really have to get back into game shape.. icon_wink.gif

i dont know what my problem is.... i think the last 2 jobs i had really left a bad taste in my mouth. i dont know anyone at all in this field, so i dont know whats out there, what to ask or WHO to ask.... i actually have a BS in Bio and minors in Chem/Physics and Music with a concentration in Marine Bio. i guess i had hoped i'd be able to use my science skills along with computer skills somewhere along the way.....

i think i have a better chance of getting back into game shape.....

icon_sad.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How hardcore are you? You can always sign up to go to Antarctica or on a submarine voyage.
    dynamik wrote: »
    How hardcore are you? You can always sign up to go to Antarctica or on a submarine voyage.
    i would love that, unfortunately i have this little house thing holding me back.
  • sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Start your own consulting business. Cater to scientists and researchers since you're familiar with that crowd (given your science background). I bet they pay $$$ for their computer support and stuff... plus you might know some colleges you could take on as clients.
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Actually tdean brings up a great point. I too am in the same situation where I love IT but at the same time hate being stuck ball and chain to an desk or in ONE room. I was thinking about doing consulting and/or freelance but unfortuantly I only have about 3 years of expereince on me so I dont know how well that would go.

But it seems like the other alternatives are opening your own biz to CBT videos it sounds like.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE