Options

part time summer job

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey!!!

So I'm looking for jobs and I won't be able to apply for a job at school for work study
until two weeks before next starts fall. The position I'm hoping for is computer technical assistant. The job, from what I'm told, is basically working with a ticket system and with the people from helpdesk. I'll be walking all over campus so that'll be cool :D I might get lucky to be able to work through the summer until my work study funds go away. I'm trying cert up at the moment for my A+, Project+, and Security+. I just need the money for them.

Anyways, I'm wondering what people would think about having a job
just for the summer so I can pay for my fall tuition. I was told that
having a job for like 3 months on a resumé wasn't good. Plus I don't think someone
would hire me just to find out that I needed a summer job. I just don't want to end up at a place that isn't in my career field for a long time.... again.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey!!!

So I'm looking for jobs and I won't be able to apply for a job at school for work study
    until two weeks before next starts fall. The position I'm hoping for is computer technical assistant. The job, from what I'm told, is basically working with a ticket system and with the people from helpdesk. I'll be walking all over campus so that'll be cool :D I might get lucky to be able to work through the summer until my work study funds go away. I'm trying cert up at the moment for my A+, Project+, and Security+. I just need the money for them.

Anyways, I'm wondering what people would think about having a job
    just for the summer so I can pay for my fall tuition. I was told that
    having a job for like 3 months on a resumé wasn't good. Plus I don't think someone
    would hire me just to find out that I needed a summer job. I just don't want to end up at a place that isn't in my career field for a long time.... again.

In this case I'd say to go for it. My 1st real IT job was a summer internship.
  • Options
    celbiicelbii Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat, School is ending and I want to get a summer job that I can stop when school starts back up. Only problem is that looks bad, and from what i've heard you don't want to tell a future employer "Oh i only worked there for summer because I didnt want to work and goto school at the same time" makes you sound bad. So i decided against it.

I also went on a tour at a large computer company, the Hr person said that pretty much any gap as small as 2 weeks they would question you why you were unemployed for that long. 2 weeks doesn't seem like much to me, but that was straight from their mouths.

So maybe you could try to do summer full time and when school starts up get switched to part time, maybe half the hours or something?
    Hopefully Security+ or mcsa next =)