Options

SBS2003 Book suggestions

GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
I will have the opportunity to help out at a non-profit that uses SBS2003. I have had a chance to use sbs2003 before and I did not like it to much and thought ISA was horrible, but I am going to give it another chance. What would be a good book to get on sbs2003, not a certification book but a general book on sbs2003.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Grynder wrote: »
    I will have the opportunity to help out at a non-profit that uses SBS2003. I have had a chance to use sbs2003 before and I did not like it to much and thought ISA was horrible, but I am going to give it another chance. What would be a good book to get on sbs2003, not a certification book but a general book on sbs2003.
    I can't speak to a good book, but I can make a suggestion... don't fight the wizards. No matter if you know another (even faster) way to do it, give in and do it the SBS way, you'll be much happier with the result (and spend less time troubleshooting "weird" SBS problems). :)
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    I can't speak to a good book, but I can make a suggestion... don't fight the wizards. No matter if you know another (even faster) way to do it, give in and do it the SBS way, you'll be much happier with the result (and spend less time troubleshooting "weird" SBS problems). :)

Very sound advice, I once had the displeasure of installing BlackBerry Professional Software on a SBS2003 server. It wasn't as straight forward as it would have been on Server 2003 with Exchange installed. One suggestion I will make as a resource to keep on hand for when the problems crop up is this website:

SmallBizServer.net

There are a lot of good writeups and bright SBS guru's on the forums there that I've found good advice from at times that I needed it.
  • Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    ^^^ Agreed. I have learned that lesson the hard way on SBS2008, which I personally like a lot more than sbs2003. You can actually make a change to a user from the command line without bringing the server to it's knees