Options

Changed My Mind on BackTrack...

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
One of my professors called me and asked me to give a talk on BackTrack (specifically BT4 and Fast-Track). Having not been a fan of BT, but wanting to give the talk (Fast-Track is a python based tool that works with Metasploit) because I've done a lot of work with Metasploit I said sure. So I began trying to get BT4 (in beta) loaded onto my laptop (VMware on Mac OSX 10.5) and I was having some issues. Finally, after a lot of Googling, I came across the official wiki that had a full and well written walkthrough. After about 2 hours I got it working and started playing.

So I started looking through Metasploit to see how it was setup on BT and then opened up Fast-Track. Ran updates and began to work on the autopwn feature. Being tired and not paying attention I thought it worked so I went to bed. Tonight I began looking at it again and saw that it hadn't worked at all. Started plugging away and really couldn't figure it out. Back to Google and BT's forums! Went on there and someone said that the problem had to do with SQLite3 ruby file. People said that the updating had messed with it and that was why it wouldn't work. Reinstalled SQLite3 and no dice. Someone then posts that switching the Metasploit 3.3 SQLite3 ruby file with the 3.2 version didn't work. I gave it a try anyhow and it worked!

I figured I would post because I was proud to get it working and because having gone through the distro I've grown to like it. Part of it is because they've made the switch to Ubuntu (my distro of choice, though they choose Kubuntu where I prefer Gnome). So look into BackTrack for all you security tool needs!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    So the only thing needed to fix the problem is to downgrade to the previous revision of the Ruby database file? Or was there also something else you did that contributed to the fix?

I'll see if I can find sometime to duplicate this problem and your fix.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am getting some kind of problem with that too, I get erros when I try to install PostgreSQL, I am trying in this moment to use MySQL, I will let you know if it works.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup, if you are running version 3.3 of Metasploit then download version 3.2, untar it, and then go into the plugins folder and copy the db_sqlite3 file into the 3.3 plugins folder. I made sure to copy the original that came with 3.3 just in case. After that you should be autopwning with the best of them!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff