70-642 Resources

Study Guide and Resources for Exam 70-642 TS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring

Recommended Reading
MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642)
Windows Server 2008 Networking and Network Access Protection (NAP)
TCP/IP Fundamentals for Microsoft Windows
Understanding IPv6, Second Edition
Windows Server 2008 Foundation Network Guide

Skills Measured:
Preparation Guide for Exam 70-642: TS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring

Configuring IP Addressing and Services (24 percent)
Configure IPv4 and IPv6 addressing.
Learn To Subnet:* A Free, Lecture-Based Presentation on IP Addressing and Subnetting
Microsoft Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6)
TCP/IP
TCP/IP (v4 and v6) Technical Reference
Netsh Commands for Interface (IPv4 and IPv6)
How IPv6 Works
IPv6 Address Reference Card

Configure Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
Microsoft Windows DHCP Team Blog
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
DHCP Server

Configure routing.
How to configure Windows 2008 Server IP Routing
Routing

Configure IPsec.
IPsec
Creating and Using IPsec Policies
Monitoring IPsec
IPsec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Configuring Name Resolution (27 percent)
DNS
The Cable Guy: DNS Enhancements in Windows Server 2008

Configure a Domain Name System (DNS) server
Installing and Configuring Servers
Server Core Installation Option Getting Started Guide

Configure DNS zones
Configuring Zone Properties
Adding Zones

Configure DNS records
DNS Reference Information
Managing Resource Records

Configure DNS replication.
Change the Zone Replication Scope
Use Aging and Scavenging

Configure name resolution for client computers.
Windows Internet Name Service
Managing DNS Clients

Configuring Network Access (22 percent)
Configure remote access
TechNet Virtual Lab: Deploying SSTP Remote Access
What's New in Routing and Remote Access in Windows Server 2008
Routing and Remote Access Service

Configure Network Access Protection (NAP).
TechNet Virtual Lab: Understanding NAP in Windows Server 2008
TechNet Virtual Lab: Network Access Protection with IPSec Enforcement
Network Access Protection

Configure network authentication.
Network Policy Server
Network Policy and Access Services Overview
Remote Access Authentication Methods
The Cable Guy: IEEE 802.1X Wired Authentication

Configure wireless access
802.1X Authenticated Wireless Access
The Cable Guy: Wireless Group Policy Settings for Windows Vista
Creating a Wireless Network Group Policy, Part 1
Wi-Fi Protected Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Configure firewall settings.
TechNet Virtual Lab: Managing Network Security using Windows Firewall with Advanced Security in Windows Server 2008 Beta 3
Windows Firewall with Advanced Security and IPsec

Configuring File and Print Services (13 percent)
File Services for Windows Server 2008

Configure a file server
Introduction to File Server Resource Manager
Managing Permissions
The Storage Team at Microsoft - File Cabinet Blog : Offline Files in Windows Vista
What's New in Offline Files for Windows Vista
Encrypting File System
Encrypting File System

Configure Distributed File System (DFS).
Overview of the Distributed File System Solution in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2
Distributed File System
DFS Step-by-Step Guide for Windows Server 2008

Configure shadow copy services
Shadow Copies for Shared Folders Technical Reference: Data Recovery
How to Use the Shadow Copy Client
Configuring Volume Shadow Copy on Windows Server 2008 - Techotopia

Configure backup and restore.
Backup and Recovery Overview
Volume Shadow Copy Service Technical Reference: Data Recovery
Windows Server Backup

Manage disk quotas.
Working with Quotas

Configure and monitor print services
Print Services Role
Print Management Step-by-Step Guide
Print Management
Print Services
Managing Windows Server 2008 Print Services - Techotopia
Deploying TCP/IP Printers with Group Policy Preferences Clay Moore’s Blog

Monitoring and Managing a Network Infrastructure (14 percent)
Configure Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) server settings
Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) Home
Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP1 Operations Guide
Update and Configure the Automatic Updates Client
Set Up a Disconnected Network (Import and Export the Updates)

Capture performance data.
Performance and Reliability Monitoring Step-by-Step Guide for Windows Server 2008

Monitor event logs
Event Viewer and Resulting Internet Communication in Windows Server 2008
Installation and Configuration for Windows Remote Management (Windows)
Yung Chou is a PC : Windows Server 2008 Event Subscription with Task Scheduling

Gather network data
Download details: Microsoft Network Monitor 3.3
Network Monitor
What Is SNMP?: Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP); Services for Macintosh
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.1 Availability Download FAQ Resources

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nice :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Thanks mate! Just started on this one after passing 640. I think another sticky!
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Very cool icon_cool.gif
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    very very nice post --- thanks for putting it together, and I am sure I will use it in the somewhat near future (got enough on my to do list right now).
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Sweet!

Im gonna sit this one quickly after the 640 (pass permitting)
  • saad3000saad3000 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Many thanks, Great work!!
  • BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Change your certification SAAD... I don't think you would be an MCITP if you are interested in this exam
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • HemisFearHemisFear Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just started studying for this exam and I can tell you that I'm already annoyed with some of the focus on IPv6. We have all heard for years that IPv4 is going to die and that it's IPv6 is inevitable...yet after NAT and the crash of 2001 the seemingly short window in which IPv4 was supposed to be around has not only greatly increased, we simply do not see a need for IPv6 anytime soon.

I'm also annoyed that Microsoft installs the IPv6 protocol by default on it's Client OS's. The reality is that I have not used IPv6 in a single network that I have worked at (and I've been in the business for 11 years now) ranging from exceedingly large networks like Motorola's campus to small organizations such as the one I work at now.

While I understand that there is a need to know why IPv6 exists and that as the population and businesses grow eventually we will probably go to some form of it, it is simply WAY too early in the game to be force feeding technicians this nonsense.

There are a couple of nice benifits of IPv6 other than simple growth accomodation such as removing the need for ARP (no more ARP poisoning) but in reality why do we need more bloat installed on our clients that we don't need at the current time and why do we need to test on it on the level that Microsoft is clamoring on about in it's Press Kits.

*gets off soap box*
    ---===The darkest hour is just before the dawn of day===---
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Isn't this chicken or the egg? It's going to be even more difficult to implement if no one knows how to use it. Plus, IPv6 has other benefits in addition to an enormous address space. It will probably start out in niche areas and continue to gain popularity over time. Cisco's pushing IPv6 as well.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Well, I won't switch to IPv6 until the folks that invented the Internet switch! Oh, wait, nevermind...
    On August 2, 2005, OMB issued a memo (Memorandum M-05-22,
    Transition Planning for Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6)) giving
    guidance to agencies to transition from IPv4 to IPv6, and required
    agencies to implement full use of IPv6 in network backbones by June
    2008. OMB further requires, to the maximum extent practicable, all new
    IT procurements include IPv6 capable products and systems. Any
    exceptions to the use of IPv6 will require advance written approval
    from the agency CIO.

http://cryptome.org/dod082406.htm
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/memoranda/fy2005/m05-22.pdf

IPv6 is already in wide use in areas with large populations and small IPv4 scopes - like Asia. Google and The Pirate Bay already support it. The IP stack in Vista\2008\7 was completely re-written to include IPv6 at its core for forward compatibility. We may not use IPv6 widely in the US yet, but technologies like Direct Access in 2008 R2\Win 7 will help push adoption.

A great depth of IPv6 knowledge isn't required for the exam. I went off on an IPv6 tangent when I was studying for the 70-649 and I spent more time on it than I really needed. Be sure to know some of the standard address prefixes (like fe80 and fc00) and common transition technologies (like ISATAP and Teredo).
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I was consolidating my eBook library to a new thumb drive (I really want a Kindle DX) when I came across a copy of TCP/IP Fundamentals for Microsoft Windows that came one one of my resource kit CDs. Originally written for Server 2003, I found an updated downloadable version for 2008 that I added to the recommended reading section.

If you are new to Windows networking, I recommend reviewing it. If you have a lot of experience, a quick skim as a refresher would probably suffice.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I
    If you are new to Windows networking, I recommend reviewing it. If you have a lot of experience, a quick skim as a refresher would probably suffice.

I don't know if I'd call 560 pages 'skim'able icon_lol.gif

Great doc though, thanks! icon_thumright.gif
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • sund33psund33p Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For the MCTS training kit, there are quite a few corrections needed to the text. Here's a link MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Network Infrastructure comments and corrections . I'm sure there are more errors in the text.
    I'm just into the MCTS:70-640 training kit and it has a longer list of corrections. That list of corrections doesn't even mentiion any of their errors on the hands on exercises, just typos mostly.

Edit: 11 May 2010 Just passed the 83-640 yesterday. I'm definitely going to utilize thtis list while studying for the 70-642. I'm about 40% done with the MS Press book but have been taking a "break" from it while getting ready for the 640. I'm gonna look over some of these resouirces here instead of rereading material I've already read.
    Edit: 29May2010 These resources are definitely useful so far. I'm probably overstudying (for the test) but it's always good to learn more. I have access to IT Academy but all of their labs have been "unavailable" so the technet virtual labs listed here are definitely helpful and a big time saver. The DNS resources are excellent and I'm even starting to read over some of the RFC's so as to understand the technology and standards better.
    Good resources Claymoore.

Might want to add Amazon.com: Windows Vista® Resource Kit, Second Edition: Jerry Honeycutt, Mitch Tulloch, Tony… because the Training Kit and Sybex do a lousy job of explaining Print and File Services

The skills measured now reflect that Server 2008 R2 is covered on this exam.

Changes in Functionality from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2 This link may help
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    earweed wrote: »
    The skills measured now reflect that Server 2008 R2 is covered on this exam.

I'm going to do some study and labbing with R2 for the exam which is only seven days away now. I will if it would help post some links to the resources I'm using to study R2.

icon_study.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The items changed are in bold red. Make note of these changes as some items have been removed that were covered by the Server 2008 objectives.
    Skills Being Measured
    This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical tasks listed below.The percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area on the exam.
    1. Configuring Addressing and Services (24 percent)
    • Configure IPv4 and IPv6 addressing.
      • May include but is not limited to: configure IP address options; subnetting; supernetting; multi-homed; interoperability between IPv4 and IPv6
    • Configure Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
      • May include but is not limited to: DHCP options; creating new options; PXE boot; default user profiles; DHCP relay agents; exclusions; authorize server in Active Directory; scopes; DHCPv6
    • Configure routing.
      • May include but is not limited to: static routing; persistent routing; Routing Internet Protocol (RIP); metrics; choosing a default gateway; maintaining a routing table; demand-dial routing; IGMP proxy
    • Configure Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.
      • May include but is not limited to: inbound and outbound rules; custom rules; authorized users; authorized computers; configure firewall by using Group Policy; network location profiles; service groups; import/export policies; isolation policy; IPsec group policies; Connection Security Rules
    Configuring Names Resolution (27 percent)
    • Configure a Domain Name System (DNS) server.
      • May include but is not limited to: conditional forwarding; external forwarders; root hints; cache-only; socket pooling; cache locking
    • Configure DNS zones.
      • May include but is not limited to: zone scavenging; zone types; Active Directory integration; Dynamic Domain Name System (DDNS); Secure DDNS; GlobalNames; zone delegation; DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC); reverse lookup zones
    • Configure DNS records.
      • May include but is not limited to: record types; Time to live (TTL); weighting records; registering records; netmask ordering; DnsUpdateProxy group; round robin; DNS record security; auditing
    • Configure DNS replication.
      • May include but is not limited to: DNS secondary zones; DNS stub zones; Active Directory Integrated replication scopes; securing zone transfer; SOA refresh; auditing
    • Configure name resolution for client computers.
      • May include but is not limited to: configuring HOSTS file; Link-Local Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR); broadcasting; resolver cache; DNS server list; Suffix Search order; DNS devolution
    Configuring Network Access (22 percent)
    • Configure remote access.
      • May include but is not limited to: dial-up; Remote Access Policy; Network Address Translation (NAT); VPN protocols, such as Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP) and IKEv2; Routing and Remote Access Services (RRAS); packet filters; Connection Manager; VPN reconnect; RAS authentication by using MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP v2, and EAP
    • Configure Network Access Protection (NAP).
      • May include but is not limited to: network layer protection; DHCP enforcement; VPN enforcement; RDS enforcement; configure NAP health policies; IPsec enforcement; 802.1x enforcement; flexible host isolation; multi-configuration System Health Validator (SHV)
    • Configure DirectAccess.
      • May include but is not limited to: IPv6; IPsec; server requirements; client requirements; perimeter network; name resolution policy table
    • Configure Network Policy Server (NPS).
      • May include but is not limited to: IEEE 802.11 wireless; IEEE 802.3 wired; group policy for wireless; RADIUS accounting; Connection Request policies; RADIUS proxy; NPS templates
    Configuring File and Print Services (13 percent)
    • Configure a file server.
      • May include but is not limited to: file share publishing; Offline Files; share permissions; NTFS permissions; encrypting file system (EFS); BitLocker; Access-Based Enumeration (ABE); branch cache; Share and Storage Management console
    • Configure Distributed File System (DFS).
      • May include but is not limited to: DFS namespace; DFS configuration and application; creating and configuring targets; DFS replication; read-only replicated folder; failover cluster support; health reporting
    • Configure backup and restore.
      • May include but is not limited to: backup types; backup schedules; managing remotely; restoring data; shadow copy services; volume snapshot services (VSS); bare metal restore; backup to remote file share
    • Manage file server resources.
      • May include but is not limited to: FSRM; quota by volume or quota by user; quota entries; quota templates; file classification; Storage Manager for SANs; file management tasks; file screening
    • Configure and monitor print services.
      • May include but is not limited to: printer share; publish printers to Active Directory; printer permissions; deploy printer connections; install printer drivers; export and import print queues and printer settings; add counters to Performance Monitor to monitor print servers; print pooling; print priority; print driver isolation; location-aware printing; print management delegation
    Monitoring and Managing a Network Infrastructure (14 percent)
    • Configure Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) server settings.
      • May include but is not limited to: update type selection; client settings; Group Policy object (GPO); client targeting; software updates; test and approval; disconnected networks
    • Configure performance monitoring.
      • May include but is not limited to: Data Collector Sets; Performance Monitor; Reliability Monitor; monitoring System Stability Index; page files; analyze performance data
    • Configure event logs.
      • May include but is not limited to: custom views; application and services logs; subscriptions; attaching tasks to events find and filter
    • Gather network data.
      • May include but is not limited to: Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP); Network Monitor; Connection Security Rules Monitoring
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Here's some resources for the new Windows Server 2008 R2 topics that are now included in 70-642

Configuring Addressing and Services
    Configure Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
    DHCPv6 (Understanding of address configuration in automatic mode and installation of DHCPv6 Server)

Configuring Name Resolution
    Configure a Domain Name System (DNS) server
    Configure the Socket Pool
    Configure Cache Locking

Configure DNS zones
    DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC)
    DNSSEC Deployment Guide

Configure DNS records
    Netmask Ordering and Round Robin
    DNSUpdateProxy Group - Updating DNS Resource Records

Configure name resolution for client computers
    DNS Devolution

Configure Network Access
    Configure remote access
    Deploying Remote Access with VPN Reconnect

Configure Network Access Protection
    Deploying Password-based 802.1X Authenticated Wireless Access
    SHV Multi-Config in Windows Server 2008 R2

Configure DirectAccess
    DirectAccess

Configure Network Policy Server (NPS)
    NPS Enhancements in Windows Server 2008 R2
    RADIUS Accounting
    Connection Request Policies
    RADIUS Proxy
    NPS Templates in Windows Server 2008 R2

Configure File and Print Services
    File Services for Windows Server 2008 R2

Configure a file server
    Branch Cache
    Bitlocker Drive Encryption
    Enable Access-Based Enumeration on a Namespace

Monitor and configure print services
    What's New in Print and Document Services (Server 2008 R2)
    Printer Driver Isolation
    Location-Aware Printing

I'll add more resources over the next few days.

[UPDATE] I added quite a lot more 2008 R2 specific resources. I've tried not to duplicate the indispensable links Claymoore has listed at the top of this thread.
    HTH

icon_study.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    LCA - Thanks for the R2 links! That will make it much easier for me to brush-up on those updates before sitting my 642 exam.
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    Claymoore wrote: »

Does anyone have a copy of this IPv6 reference card? The link seems to be dead and it looked useful.

Thanks,
    Drew
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    drew2000 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a copy of this IPv6 reference card? The link seems to be dead and it looked useful.

Thanks,
    Drew

IPv6 Address Types — RIPE Network Coordination Centre

IPv6 Subnetting Card — RIPE Network Coordination Centre
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    alokin123,
    Thanks for posting the new links!

Drew
  • Netwiz010Netwiz010 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This post is amazing. I am taking this test next month and will be using these.
  • nocmannocman Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi , I am new to this forum and to Microsoft certifications as well.
    I am planning to write 70-642 exam.The question is, Is there any difference between 70-642 and 72-642, coz as far as I understood the difference is fee which is $125 for 70-642 and $60 for 72-642? Apparantly it seems the latter is for students!
    The second question is where I can find good practice exams?
  • PandaPopPandaPop Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,

On a 70-642 course this week and looking for additional books to go through after this, is this the 'updated' version of the MSPress book?
    http://www.amazon.com/MCTS-Self-Paced-Training-Exam-70-642/dp/0735651604/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

PP
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yes, if it has the #2 in the corner, that's the R2 updated version
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • PandaPopPandaPop Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can I add a link? Found this one very useful when trying to get my filbert around subnetting:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html
  • Lorenzo_GLorenzo_G Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PandaPop wrote: »
    Can I add a link? Found this one very useful when trying to get my filbert around subnetting:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html

The new exam has maybe one or two questions about subnetting, and at most one on IPV6.

At least half the test was on command line programs. Know DNSCMD very well, know DFSUTIL, WSUSUTIL. There were several questions on WSUS.

One question had to do with establishing communication between two sites, each using IPv4 and IPv6 and each with a symmetric NAT firewall. I think I got this one wrong. One of the answers was change to dynamic NAT, another was set up ISATAP. I guessed that you needed to set up a tunnel to get through two NAT firewalls, so the only answer was ISATAP. I don't know, I haven't been able to find an answer to that one.

Another was on Sender Framework Policy. Where is that in the study guides???
  • justincchiungjustincchiung Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good info. Thanks