Job Hunting -- how do you do it while employed?

WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
Just as the title says...your employed working a 9 hour workday. Only 1 hour for lunch. Its gonna be tricky finding time to meet with an potential employers and on top of that its not like you can take personal days since you have NONE.

How would you go about leaving early/late or maybe even weekends with a potential employer? I live in New York and going to the city where the bulk of the IT jobs are would take at LEAST an hour to get from where I am currently employed.

Regardless of the scenario -- how would you normally job hunt while on the job?
In Progress: CCNP ROUTE

Comments

• djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Fake sickness. Tell them you have swine flu.
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Just as the title says...your employed working a 9 hour workday. Only 1 hour for lunch. Its gonna be tricky finding time to meet with an potential employers and on top of that its not like you can take personal days since you have NONE.

How would you go about leaving early/late or maybe even weekends with a potential employer? I live in New York and going to the city where the bulk of the IT jobs are would take at LEAST an hour to get from where I am currently employed.

Regardless of the scenario -- how would you normally job hunt while on the job?

Tell them you have a job interview. That should get them thinking icon_thumright.gif
  • buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know you said you don't have any personal days. I would recommend working on updating your resume update any skills that need to be updated and build your personal days back up. When you have a good amount of personal days use them for job interviews. I would double up job interviews also. For example try to schedule multiple job interviews in the same day.

Good Luck
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i've gone to interviews on my lunch break....but i usually ask how long the interview should be, that way i have an idea of how much time to alot myself. at my old job, i used to work from 12p-8p, so i would try to schedule my interviews @ like 10am....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    - Fake a death in the family and pull a random obit out of the paper if requested
    - Fake having to attend a graduation for a sibling
    - Call in and say your house/car/girlfriend was vandalized

If you don't value your job enough to stay there do whatever you have to do to get to your interview. If they don't give you sick time / vacation time (I'm assuming your part time?) they should allow you to at least schedule off with no pay.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You have no days, does that mean you're in a new job and HATE it if you're wanting to interview this badly?

Anyway, just call in sick or something.

Withe the lack of days, what do you do if you're REALLY sick? Surely you don't go to work, that's not in anyone's best interest.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    ^
    Believe it or not I'm full time and the reason I have no personal days is because I've only been there for 5 months. I passed their probation period but -- kinda like going out on dates with a girl, I gotta break the news to her "baby, this an't working".

I'm on the end of a crappy deal though. Its a 9 hour workday and the company gives only THREE (yes 3) personal days a YEAR. The work is mediocre and the working environment isnt my cup of tea, company culture is really starting to get to me in a bad way. Picture visiting a morgue for 9 hours a day -- that's how everyone is there.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    You just have to make it work somehow. Like other posters have mentioned, maybe try to schedule multiple interviews for the same day, then call in sick.

Tell them you got a flat tire and meet with the employer early in the morning. Tell them you're got some appointment to get to in the afternoon and try to duck out early.
    Try to take an extended lunch.
    Or just explain to the potential employer than you currently have a full time job, and ask them what they can do to accommodate you. I've met with people in the evenings before, because I've been in the same position as you.

Just be careful not to use up all your "excuses" too quickly, but I'm sure you realize this. I'm sure they're going to start wondering if you get 3 flat tires over the course of two weeks or something. icon_lol.gif
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    ^
    Boss: "Wow, he must really be getting sick lately and has so many car problems lately..."

The only trick was when I was looking for THIS job was I was in a position where I could come in early and leave early in order to go to late afternoon interviews. Unfortunately here I would have to have a doctors appointment or a flat tire in order to make that happen.

Thanks everyone for your input -- I'll try to best I can to make it happen.
    Just wanted to get everyone opinion to see if maybe I wasn't thinking about an alternative.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    - Call in and say your girlfriend was vandalized

Sorry but made me lol.
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    djhss68 wrote: »
    Fake sickness. Tell them you have swine flu.

:lol nice one
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.