Graduate School Recommendations ---

MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
Long time, no see everyone. I've been working on my BS, which I'll complete in 4 weeks. I'm looking at graduate schools now, and while I have had many recommendations pushing me to pursue an MBA, my BS is in MIS, so I've had a taste of the business world, and I prefer to stay technical. Living in Nashville, there are unfortunately, not very many, if any, technical MS's available, so I've been looking nationwide for distance learning opportunities. The one I've been focusing on is the MSTN (Masters of Science in Telecommunication Networks) from Polytechnic NYU -- :: Polytechnic Institute of NYU :: Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering

Pretty pricey, but I think it's probably worth it. Does anyone have any thoughts, concerns, or recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's been so long I was expecting another IE at this point ;)

Have you looked at either WGU or Capella as well? They both offer accredited distance-learning programs as well. I'm not too familiar with either of them or the one you mentioned. I just see them thrown out here from time to time and thought I'd give you a couple of other things to look at. I'll need to be looking into this sooner or later myself, so please keep us updated with what you find.

Congratulations on wrapping up your undergrad, and good luck with your masters!
  • RiskblingRiskbling Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MrD wrote: »
    Long time, no see everyone. I've been working on my BS, which I'll complete in 4 weeks. I'm looking at graduate schools now, and while I have had many recommendations pushing me to pursue an MBA, my BS is in MIS, so I've had a taste of the business world, and I prefer to stay technical. Living in Nashville, there are unfortunately, not very many, if any, technical MS's available, so I've been looking nationwide for distance learning opportunities. The one I've been focusing on is the MSTN (Masters of Science in Telecommunication Networks) from Polytechnic NYU -- :: Polytechnic Institute of NYU :: Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering

Pretty pricey, but I think it's probably worth it. Does anyone have any thoughts, concerns, or recommendations? Thanks.

I would go with the MBA as well. You will be a more rounded person that will benefit you much more than having all telecommunications credentials. After looking at that curriculm and then your certs, it really doesn't seem like your going to learn much more than you already know!
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrD wrote: »

if you want to come to the NYC area, Polytech is good....but there's also Stevens Institute of Technology which is right across the water in Hoboken....14 minute ride on the PATH train from Herald Square.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    I've heard a lot of good things about Capella.

I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago. I chose to continue working on a CIS master's instead of an MBA. I'm glad I did. My program focuses on a lot of research and management techniques. Its kind of like an MBA that is geared towards managing IT systems and I think that is a measure of a good program. A few higher up people have told me that as long as I chose to stay in IT, I'm going the right path.

MBA's are very valuable and compliment many majors very well. No matter what you chose its going to benefit you. I think you just need to chose which benefits are most important to your career.

Good luck!!
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems

I have actually been looking at Capella as well. They have an MS in IT with a specialization in Network Architecture. Syracuse also has a good looking program.

So many choices really, but I plan on starting in January. I was hoping someone on this board had gone to one of these schools.